Do you (i.tubes)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
We seem to get so few punctures (hedge cutting season excepted), that I hang the damaged inners in the garage until I have enough to make a puncture repair session 'worthwhile'.

They then hang there so long that they usually perish and have to be thrown away.

slow down

I bin them - for the sake of a few £'s why risk putting in a tube with a dodgy repair. When it's cold and wet, the last thing you want is a faulty patch.

Personally, unless there is an obvious cause, I always locate the puncture site on the tube to ensure the offending cause is located and removed.

Then replace with a spare.

As I get to a suitable point (work if commuting, lunch if on tour) repair the p*ncture.

As I have said before - it is a great ice-breaker. I have spent many a happy how talking to other cyclists whilst repairing a p*ncture

I seem to rotate them, one gets punctured it gets replaced with one previously repaired, the punctured one is repaired and used as the spare.

I do change them completly if they look shoddy or perhaps if I fit new tyres and just want new everything.

Keith Oates

Janner
If on the road then I usually change it unless I've no new tubes left to use. When I get home I put them aside for a rainy day before repairing them. That's the theory but in reality HWMBO bins them if she sees them out of a box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i tend to throw them away now, or give them to clubmates.i can never get patches to stick properly.
the local shop does 5 schwalbe inner tubes for £12.50 which seems pretty good value.

I never repair at roaside - always stick a new tube in and get on with the ride.

Back at base, I used to bin the failed tubes, but recently I've had another go at the art of repairing and now only bin them if they're really old or have a whopper of a hole.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Its 50/50 with me: either its repair at roadside but more likely fit my spare then repair at home: i try not to throw unless its a 'well gone situ'.

on the road

Über Member
Why throw away a good tube just cos it had a few punctures? I repair mine all the time, the only time I throw it away is when the valve breaks.

Top Bottom