Do you (i.tubes)

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by yenrod, 5 Aug 2007.

1. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Do you keep your tubes if you puncture :rolleyes:

Or throw 'em and buy new..

2. Tim Bennet.

Tim Bennet. Entirely Average Member

We seem to get so few punctures (hedge cutting season excepted), that I hang the damaged inners in the garage until I have enough to make a puncture repair session 'worthwhile'.

They then hang there so long that they usually perish and have to be thrown away.

3. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

If it's a 'simple' hole, I'll replace the tube and fix the damaged one at home; if there's a tear or rip I'll bin it.

4. slow down

slow down New Member

I bin them - for the sake of a few £'s why risk putting in a tube with a dodgy repair. When it's cold and wet, the last thing you want is a faulty patch.

5. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

Personally, unless there is an obvious cause, I always locate the puncture site on the tube to ensure the offending cause is located and removed.

Then replace with a spare.

As I get to a suitable point (work if commuting, lunch if on tour) repair the p*ncture.

As I have said before - it is a great ice-breaker. I have spent many a happy how talking to other cyclists whilst repairing a p*ncture

6. chris42

chris42 New Member

I'm afraid I bin them.
    I run my tyres at 135 psi and don't risk the quality of my repair.

7. starseven

starseven Guest

I seem to rotate them, one gets punctured it gets replaced with one previously repaired, the punctured one is repaired and used as the spare.

I do change them completly if they look shoddy or perhaps if I fit new tyres and just want new everything.

8. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

If on the road then I usually change it unless I've no new tubes left to use. When I get home I put them aside for a rainy day before repairing them. That's the theory but in reality HWMBO bins them if she sees them out of a box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. piedwagtail91

piedwagtail91 Über Member

i tend to throw them away now, or give them to clubmates.i can never get patches to stick properly.
    the local shop does 5 schwalbe inner tubes for £12.50 which seems pretty good value.

10. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

I haven't repaired a tube for many years. One strike and they're out.

11. longers

longers Veteran

I'm a skinflint and repair mine.

12. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

I never repair at roaside - always stick a new tube in and get on with the ride.

Back at base, I used to bin the failed tubes, but recently I've had another go at the art of repairing and now only bin them if they're really old or have a whopper of a hole.

13. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

I will patch them a couple of times before replacing them, but always carry a spare.

14. OP
    OP
    yenrod

yenrod Guest

Its 50/50 with me: either its repair at roadside but more likely fit my spare then repair at home: i try not to throw unless its a 'well gone situ'.

15. on the road

on the road Über Member

Why throw away a good tube just cos it had a few punctures? I repair mine all the time, the only time I throw it away is when the valve breaks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice