1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you (i.tubes)

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by yenrod, 5 Aug 2007.

1. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Do you keep your tubes if you puncture :rolleyes:

Or throw 'em and buy new..

2. Tim Bennet.

Tim Bennet. Entirely Average Member

We seem to get so few punctures (hedge cutting season excepted), that I hang the damaged inners in the garage until I have enough to make a puncture repair session 'worthwhile'.

They then hang there so long that they usually perish and have to be thrown away.

3. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

If it's a 'simple' hole, I'll replace the tube and fix the damaged one at home; if there's a tear or rip I'll bin it.

4. slow down

slow down New Member

I bin them - for the sake of a few £'s why risk putting in a tube with a dodgy repair. When it's cold and wet, the last thing you want is a faulty patch.

5. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

Personally, unless there is an obvious cause, I always locate the puncture site on the tube to ensure the offending cause is located and removed.

Then replace with a spare.

As I get to a suitable point (work if commuting, lunch if on tour) repair the p*ncture.

As I have said before - it is a great ice-breaker. I have spent many a happy how talking to other cyclists whilst repairing a p*ncture

6. chris42

chris42 New Member

I'm afraid I bin them.
    I run my tyres at 135 psi and don't risk the quality of my repair.

7. starseven

starseven Guest

I seem to rotate them, one gets punctured it gets replaced with one previously repaired, the punctured one is repaired and used as the spare.

I do change them completly if they look shoddy or perhaps if I fit new tyres and just want new everything.

8. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

If on the road then I usually change it unless I've no new tubes left to use. When I get home I put them aside for a rainy day before repairing them. That's the theory but in reality HWMBO bins them if she sees them out of a box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. piedwagtail91

piedwagtail91 Über Member

i tend to throw them away now, or give them to clubmates.i can never get patches to stick properly.
    the local shop does 5 schwalbe inner tubes for £12.50 which seems pretty good value.

10. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

I haven't repaired a tube for many years. One strike and they're out.

11. longers

longers Veteran

I'm a skinflint and repair mine.

12. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

I never repair at roaside - always stick a new tube in and get on with the ride.

Back at base, I used to bin the failed tubes, but recently I've had another go at the art of repairing and now only bin them if they're really old or have a whopper of a hole.

13. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

I will patch them a couple of times before replacing them, but always carry a spare.

14. OP
    OP
    yenrod

yenrod Guest

Its 50/50 with me: either its repair at roadside but more likely fit my spare then repair at home: i try not to throw unless its a 'well gone situ'.

15. on the road

on the road Über Member

Why throw away a good tube just cos it had a few punctures? I repair mine all the time, the only time I throw it away is when the valve breaks.