Do you know people who think they are fit ......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bagpuss

Guru
Do you know people who think they are fit .

A few years ago when I used to organize audax events . A chap who had never ridden more than 40 miles entered a 300k ride . He made it round with over an hour to spare . His main sport was moto cross and , his strenght was , I won't quit it's only a bike ride!
It used to common to ride 50+ miles in a day . BEFORE EVERYONE HAD A CAR, well ok most people had one .

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
100 miles probably does require some preparation*, but apparently anyone can do 54 miles. One year a lot of people from work did L2B, I was the only regular cyclist (although in those days only about 10 miles daily). One guy only picked up his borrowed bike the morning of the event, it squealed with every turn of the cranks. Everyone made it OK and were in fair shape the next day, but there were quite a few mechanical problems on the way (long-neglected bikes pressed into use at the last minute basically)

*I did one after commuting 18 miles (total) daily and almost no longer rides. My knees hurt after, but otherwise it was OK.

Emu

I'm "fit" enough to do 26 miles per day on a bike. I wouldn't last 10 minutes running around a hockey pitch at the moment though. I can't remember the last time I ran anywhere. 100 miles cycling would be far easier than a 70 min hockey match!

monnet

Guru
About 6 years ago I was in pretty good shape, I'd just finished university and was waiting to start a new job so i spent the summer cycling about 150-200 miles a week. When I started the job I was asked if i wanted to join their football team. I said yes and thought my skill level might be down but my fitness would astound them. Wrong. I was absolutely wrecked and could barely walk the next day. Fortunately I hadn't made any rash boasts about my fitness, just played down my footballing ability.

chris42

Emu said:
I'm "fit" enough to do 26 miles per day on a bike. I wouldn't last 10 minutes running around a hockey pitch at the moment though. I can't remember the last time I ran anywhere. 100 miles cycling would be far easier than a 70 min hockey match!

I don't agree,
hockey like football isn't constant. You run, stop, turn walk.....
in the 70 mins I would bet you would only be moving/running about 40% of the time.
During the avarage 100 miles you will be turning the cranks about 80 % of the time for 5-7-10 hours dependent on you speed.

Tetedelacourse

On the plus side though Monnet there are clearly very different demands placed on your body between cycling and football, which means the two are compatible! ie you can commute and then play football after work!

Well, actually, I THINK it's possible but then that's why I fall straight into the category Sore Thumb initially described!

I've said it before but I'm surprised how few cyclists play football and vice versa.

monnet

Guru
It's all irrelevant now. The different demands of football have taken their toll. I've got a slight tear in my anterior cruciate ligament which is aggravated by putting undue stress on it (eg. tackling and kicking in football) so I've had to give up. I now stick to my bike with the odd game of squash.

gbyers

chris42 said:
I don't agree,
hockey like football isn't constant. You run, stop, turn walk.....
in the 70 mins I would bet you would only be moving/running about 40% of the time.
During the avarage 100 miles you will be turning the cranks about 80 % of the time for 5-7-10 hours dependent on you speed.

I can see both points of view. I think the key is that if you are fit you'll adapt to a new sport or exercise quickly but the first time might be hell.

I can cycle 100 miles but running a 100yds a few months ago was torture. Now I've been mixing gym (running machine included) with cycling for a few months 5k is not only attainable it's actually quite enjoyable.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
There's riding 100 miles, and then there's a 100 mile race (what the OP was referring to).

Two quite different things.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Tetedelacourse said:
I've said it before but I'm surprised how few cyclists play football and vice versa.
I play 5-a-side twice a week and commute by bike, do I count as a weirdo?? :thumbsup:

I'd consider myself to be reasonably fit, but not excessively so (i.e. don't brag about it to anyone who may be in a position to see otherwise) - but must admit to liking a good laugh at people who *do* brag about their abilities when clearly they have none (well, at least not in the things they say they do).

I remember joining a 5-a-side game of footy with some chaps at my Wife's workplace (I'd worked there previously and thus knew some of them) - one of the chaps was extremely competitive and almost sulked whenever he was tackled or missed a goal etc.

I must have shouted at him a couple of times during the game to pass/shoot etc. (I too am competitive and get into the game) and afterwards he tried to explain that badminton was more his game, he couldn't find anyone to play who was good enough... and would I fancy his challenge at that if I thought I was so much better than him at sport....

We played 3 games and he got about 10 points in total IIRC. I used to play 6 times a week prior to going to Uni and was in the Mens 'A' Team and Mixed 'B' Team at a club.... I just must have forgotten to mention it when he was so cock-sure. :thumbsup::?:

ha ha - I like this thread. At the moment I'm the fittest I've ever been but that's still not that fit - not least when I go to races and see all the whippet girls who make me feel like a fat wheezing blob and race all the top categories in the nps...even though I've been putting in the interval sessions and miles like nobody's business...

In any case, today I tried GOLF for the first time. It's quite good. It appeals to my obsessive side and lots of pudgy people play it so I felt right at home...

Top Bottom