Do you leave well alone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
I'm pretty good at simple routine maintenance and I buy quality kit (Pearsons Sutton).
I'm always cleaning chains ( on my fourth) and rims and brake block (on my second set) checking tyres for flints ( been through a set of Conti's and use Schwalbe Marathons in the winter)

I'm currently 4 years, probably about 5,000- 6,000 miles, in on a fixed ( Now You See Me). Miche hubs handbuilt wheels. They are perfect still, so is the headset and bottom bracket.
Do you take apart and re grease stuff even when it continues to work perfectly and doesn't show any signs of wearing out? Or, do you leave well alone?

I'm pretty good at simple routine maintenance and I buy quality kit (Pearsons Sutton).
I'm always cleaning chains ( on my fourth) and rims and brake block (on my second set) checking tyres for flints ( been through a set of Conti's and use Schwalbe Marathons in the winter)

I'm currently 4 years, probably about 5,000- 6,000 miles, in on a fixed ( Now You See Me). Miche hubs handbuilt wheels. They are perfect still, so is the headset and bottom bracket.
Do you take apart and re grease stuff even when it continues to work perfectly and doesn't show any signs of wearing out? Or, do you leave well alone?
I regularly dismantle and check bits on the bikes, if it needs a grease top up, it gets it, if not, it goes back until the next scheduled check up, or until it gives me cause for concern.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I regularly dismantle and check bits on the bikes, if it needs a grease top up, it gets it, if not, it goes back until the next scheduled check up, or until it gives me cause for concern.
The thing is, for parts like cup & cone hubs or headsets etc, once you have opened them up for a look there's a good chance some dirt will have dropped in, and besides, you might as well grease them while you are in there by this point anyway.

si_c

Guru
I tend to ignore it until it starts making a noise. Then either replace or regrease etc.

I do clean the bike weeklyish though these days which helps.

Tangoup51

Honestly it depends. Your wear can vary depending on how you've been riding, when you've been riding and where you've been riding.

But personally, I tend to service my bike when I feel like it's been run-through well & proper, even if it's not showing any signs of distress.
I also tend to do it on a weekend off, turns a chore into a hobby.

Slick

Guru
I'm not one for tinkering as it usually ends in disaster. I'll do what's necessary, wash and lube and very basics when they arise like replace bearings but when I destroyed my rear mech I put it straight to the shop.

winjim

Smash the cistern
If I'm a bit bored there's nothing I enjoy more than taking something apart and putting it back together again, especially if it's unfamiliar. But that's just me, and to be honest I rarely have the time these days.

Crankarm

Guru
I might service my bike once a year now not because it needs it but because it's a very low maintenance bike. Gone are the days of a crappy derailleur transmission which are PITA to maintain and rim brakes. It's all good now. Lots of time to do other things and of course ride my bike.

Top Bottom