Do you lock your saddle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

taxing

They sound great, have you tried them?

pinkkaz

Veteran
I never used to but then was speaking to a woman who works at the uni I go to (I know, prime thieving territory) and she said someone nicked her Brooks saddle from her bike in the very spot I was locking it up. So now I run a cable through the saddle rails just as a deterrent (mine is a Brooks too).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just use a thick(ish) Oxford cable through the rails - Charge Knife on a carbon seatpost - probably £80 or so all in - rather it was there when I returned - Just puts them off.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
I use a motorcycle helmet cable lock. Not that I have an expensive saddle or post, just that it would be bloody inconvenient to return to a seat-less bike :/

GrasB

Veteran
I have secure torx bolts in the seat post & saddle clamp. The bits/keys are easy enough to buy if you want to spend the money but a thief is very unlikely to have a torx tool let alone a secure torx one.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
GrasB said:
I have secure torx bolts in the seat post & saddle clamp. The bits/keys are easy enough to buy if you want to spend the money but a thief is very unlikely to have a torx tool let alone a secure torx one.

Makes sense, at the end of the day if a thief really wants you stuff they will find a way of taking it, but most at just opportunists. Make things a wee bit difficult and they will move on to find an easier target.

GrasB

Veteran
HJ, exactly. When there's a cheetah chasing a group you don't try to outrun the cheetah, you try to everyone else. Same principle with security, my aim isn't to make theft proof, that's an impossibility, my aim to get the thief to look at the bike & decide it's to much like hard work. This is why I use odd-ball fittings (secure torx, internal drive torx, ribe, etc) they've not only got to get the bike but make it a hassle for the thief to get rid of the bike too.

potsy

Rambler
Never locked my saddle but I rarely leave my bike anywhere other than work or home,the odd time I do it's only for 5 mins anyway.

allen-uk

There's other versions of the Secure Torx type on the market. Mine (local bike shop) was about 12 quid for three bolts - seat post and both wheels - the key is an open hexagon with an offset nut inside it, so very awkward (nothing's impossible) to undo without it.

Allen.

GrasB

Veteran
allen-uk said:
There's other versions of the Secure Torx type on the market. Mine (local bike shop) was about 12 quid for three bolts - seat post and both wheels - the key is an open hexagon with an offset nut inside it, so very awkward (nothing's impossible) to undo without it.
But in reality gives minimal security advantages over a standard fitting where I can get off the shelf replacements for. If you look at my commute bike & race bike you'll see that secure torx bolts are used for all clamps & are A4 stainless or titanium.

GazK

Veteran
No, but I have thought about it - both my bikes have Brooks, one an old honey B17, and the other a new copper railed Team Pro. But I really can't be arsed - I don't leave my bike unattended much, and I'm careful where I lock it if I do.

One thing though, if anyone at Brooks is reading - putting a large "Brooks" logo on your saddle cover is a really stupid idea. I turned mine inside out, and now it hides my expensive saddle, not advertises it!

Top Bottom