Do you overthink things?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Yes, it's one reason I don't post much beyond jokes and the odd short remark. By the time I've read and reread what I've written, more eloquent people than me have posted exactly what I wanted to say and I just end up clicking "Like" on their post instead.

Edit: I just edited that post as well, as if to prove my point.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
When it comes to work, I'm a serious procrastinator. When I get round to doing it, I surprise myself and others with the quality of the output.

I used to think I was a lazy bugger. I then read, that thinkers tend to procrastinate as they work out how best to do things. I'll go along with that. Move over Plato.

Dunno
but while we are here - when I am riding my bike (OK ebike) along a shared path and I am approaching walkers

if I sound the bell and it gives 2 rings - could this be too aggressive - or too unassertive
and what if is a lone woman - what does she think - should I ring the bell earlier - but then is to too early and she might move over too early and then end up standing in the mud for longer than necessary
and it a lone woman is coming the other way and moves over - so I smile as a thank you - does she think I am some kind of weirdo
but then it is is a man - do I say 'Thank You'
or 'Thanks'
or Ta Mate - or is that too friendly -
and what about teenagers - what should I say??? - as an ex -teacher - what might not be weird
and what if the kid recognises me - they have all changed a lot since I taught them -

does that answer your question?????

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have this... https://www.healthline.com/health/mental-health/analysis-paralysis
You don't have to get medically diagnosed as having it,just diagnose yourself if you think you have it.
An example of it was when i've spent hours deciding which shirt to wear to the pub. When i eventually decide which one to wear the pub will have closed.:wacko:

AndyRM

XOXO
I have this...https://www.healthline.com/health/mental-health/analysis-paralysis
You don't have to get medically diagnosed as having it,just diagnose yourself if you think you have it.
An example of it was when i've spent hours deciding which shirt to wear to the pub. When i eventually decide which one to wear the pub will have closed.:wacko:

The pub's closed. HTH.

I don't understand what you mean.🤔

I will now analyse your reply till you eventually tell me what you meant. If you don't reply my analysis of your words could go on for the rest of the evening...and beyond!!🧐
Pub's often close

but sometimes they are not as closed as they might appear

especially, in my experience, if the 'pub' is actually a sailing club with a bar and a loyal membership
or - it appears - those dodgy pubs in the centre of towns or large estates where an Police cars will be spotted miles away

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I used to think that I did.

And still I will get periods of decision paralysis, and procrastination over 'important stuff*' now and then, but actually turns that's OK

But on balance I think, that in fact a lot of people are just rather 'thoughtless' when it comes to the big stuff.

I can't believe how much people will just believe / say / do something because that's what they've been told they 'should' without question.

Or because it 'stands to reason' - nope often if you properly analyse it - no it doesn't.

Maybe because I get to spend a lot of time outside by myself not being distracted by other people I get a lot of time to think.

I really like that :smile:

* if you leave an important decision right up til the last moment before it actually needs to be made, then you have extra time for 'information gathering' and can then make a more informed decision.

But I appreciate there are some people who can't bear the stress of 'uncertainty'..

Personally I love uncertainty.. It makes life so much more interesting :smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
Yes and no. At home, almost anything negative can play on my mind and actually effect my sleep. It's very dangerous, many years ago I had something serious bothering me and I couldnt shift my thoughts away from it. It became a black cloud over me for maybe 2 years, seriously black. I also found I started getting a very very poor memory, forgetting peoples names and all sorts What was bothering me would just run in an endless loop in my head. It took me a long time to break that cycle.
At work, I'm very good at moving to the next level when needed. A problem with a machine, you work through the obvious, check, go through all the options and if that doesn't cover it, move on. I will often say...that's it, move it on, we've spent enough time on that, next bit is...
It's just a process of elimination make sure you've covered the easy and obvious stuff then move on.

Top Bottom