Do you own a top end stem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

I am looking for a new stem and I have a budget of £100. I was looking at the ITM 101 as it looks good and seems practical to go on my race bike.

Does anyone else own a near top end stem that they could recomend?

I currently have the Planet X 3d forged light stem 90mm. Looking to gain an extra 20mm

simonali

Guru
If I was spending that sort of dosh on something that just holds handlebars I'd get an Extralite. More blingy than that ITM and less than half the weight. Cheaper, too!

I assume you have oversized bars, as the ITM only comes in 31.8, so the 110mm Extralite weighs 87g v 174g (manuf. claims).

stevenb

My Felt currently has the FSA OS115 stem.
Titanium bolts and carbon clamp plate.
Perfect fit. 35mm stack height with 90mm length.
It weighs 138g which isn't the lightest but at +- 6 degrees it was perfect for my needs.
It was originally £90. Most shops sell it for approx £80.
I paid £30 from CRC.
My Felt 1.2 stem is 100mm and weighs 155g which isn't too bad.
The Deda Newton stems are pretty light.
My new bike will have a FSA OS99 stem at 98g in weight.
I like FSA build quality too. Precision engineered, attractive and superb fitment.
:biggrin:

OP
OP
walker

walker

simonali said:
If I was spending that sort of dosh on something that just holds handlebars I'd get an Extralite. More blingy than that ITM and less than half the weight. Cheaper, too!

I assume you have oversized bars, as the ITM only comes in 31.8, so the 110mm Extralite weighs 87g v 174g (manuf. claims).

Just searched it and it is very light, only thing is it looks a bit weak, I am quite a puller when it comes to sprinting at the end of a race and something like that might not hold up to my strength, have you any body that has used this to find if its robust enough?

bonj2

just get the cheapest one piece carbon one that you like.
Surely you don't need to spend £100 for that?
Any more and you're just paying for a name.

simonali

Guru
Why not go for a Ritchey WCS which weighs around 120g and costs about 40 quid? Could afford some swish titanium bolts for it and a sack of energy bars!

simonali

Guru
Thomson X2 is nice and strong.

http://www.lhthomson.com/gallery/X2side2.jpg

kyuss

Veteran
I've got a Thomson X2. If you're a sprinter or big guy that's putting a lot of power through the bars I'd highly recommend it. A super stiff, super strong and totally gorgeous piece of kit. Obviously you can get lighter, but 147 grams for a 110mm is not exactly heavy.

Top Bottom