Do You remember riding on a go-cart?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Big Bren said:
My Dad makes the same claim - is yours from Northern Ireland by any chance?

Bren

No, he be Scottish.:biggrin:

sheddy

Legendary Member
We used to tow with a bike. The challenge was to find a downhill route to build up speed and send the go-cart rider into the scenery......

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My first one was made from an old woodern ironing board. Big pram wheels at the rear and smaller pushchair wheels at the front. It went like a dream, many crashes and scraped elbows, but great fun.

Thankfully, we lived on a big hill. 30 seconds descent, 5 minute walk back to the top! :biggrin:

Wonder how fast my pram-wheel go-kart really went? Being low down accentuated the speed, obviously, but I reckon it can't have been more than about 20mph...

... could it?

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
I remember my mate bombing down a hill, he had water powered brakes. Oh how we laughed when he flew off a 3' drop of a wall, totally cleared an 8' path and used the local lake to arrest his propulsion !!

Kids today don't know what they're missing out on !

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
beanzontoast said:
Thankfully, we lived on a big hill. 30 seconds descent, 5 minute walk back to the top! :biggrin:

Wonder how fast my pram-wheel go-kart really went? Being low down accentuated the speed, obviously, but I reckon it can't have been more than about 20mph...

... could it?

Always wanted to go down that hill in the Hovis ad (Is it Clovelly ?) on a bogie, all them cobbles would rattle ya teeth out !

Tetedelacourse

On a vaguely related note, we did a play about pirates in primary school. We were told to go home and make our own swords. My Dad having never grown up flung himself into it and crafted a wooden one out of a plank of wood, with a proper blade and tip, and lifesize too. All planed down to perfection.

The morning I took it into school, I was a wooden God amongst plastic flimsy subjects. Until the teacher clocked it, confiscated it and sent a letter home with me at the end of the day.

Gutted.

classic33

Leg End Member
Bogie where I live. Always preferred the large wheels.
Instead of a plank a fence post was used for the main frame.
Tin can cut into one long piece & used to hold the axles in place, smaller nails could then be used.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Never built one. But we had a metal one that was old, and had either gears or the break in the middle, just infront of the seat.
Never got a real play because our garden wasnt big enough, so my cousens got to play with it and it got stolen :biggrin: .
Although, you can buy go-karts for adults, there made by Berg, and they look cool. Two seater sports cart anyone?

Top Bottom