Votes: 1 100.0%
  • WIGGLE

• RIBBLE

• Other..

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Other. I don't buy many bike bits any more, but when I do I get them from Fred Williams in Wolverhampton - my LBS. (Well, sort of. It's local to my work.)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
This poll will be skewed as I shop at both Parkers and Ribble... I voted Parkers FWIW. Good value on Michelin Tyres, very prompt delivery, just like Wiggle... whose dhb stuff seems very good vfm.

girofan

I would like to support my LBS but they are not in the same league as the internet based companies for choice and speed of delivery.
LBS must surely realise that the internet has changed our bike bit buying forever and they must adapt or die.
I realise this will not be easy for most, but surely they could reduce their profit margin a little and offer the personal service that the big companies cannot. To talk to a knowledgable bike shop is worth it's weight in Campag Record eleven speeds. Unfortunately the prices some charge are 20% more on an already expensive item.

domtyler

Über Member
girofan said:
I would like to support my LBS but they are not in the same league as the internet based companies for choice and speed of delivery.
LBS must surely realise that the internet has changed our bike bit buying forever and they must adapt or die.
I realise this will not be easy for most, but surely they could reduce their profit margin a little and offer the personal service that the big companies cannot. To talk to a knowledgable bike shop is worth it's weight in Campag Record eleven speeds. Unfortunately the prices some charge are 20% more on an already expensive item.

Maybe they should have their own websites, maybe a front end to a larger companies (your Wiggles, Ribbles etc.) actual stocklist, you browse the site and order your parts which are then delivered to the shop where you go and pick them up and get them fitted etc.?

llllllll

I buy parts at several online retailers, usually visit several sites, knowing what I want and pick the cheapest. I try to support the LBS but as others have said it's so expensive.

Having said that they built a wheel for me recently. When I went to pick it up I could barely get in the shop for the amount of customers they had in there.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
walker said:
Both Wiggle and ribble, but could only pick one
me too.

Alves

I try to support my LBS whenever possible but the www is awful hard to beat for inspired and quirky clothing.
I would always buy a bike from my LBS cos it does get good service that way for repairs.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

girofan said:

Exactly Giro - Ive a good mate who is an ace wheel builder ! and also manages the shop too - but the stuff he does is limited by the people going in the shop which is mainly, joe ' i know nothing about cycling' bloggs.

Recently, I bought some wheels not from him but Ribble yet I bought the bike from him and the wheels have ballsed up even though they where replacements (warranty) - so I'm expecting a good price on the build price of the new wheels as I'm getting him to build - i supplied the hubs and rims.

Everything you say is totally true.

Competition is massive now like C.reaction not only free postage but also price match...

The Wiggle sites a bit dictatational as in tell the situation how it is - thank god for CR.

Though I did order my Wheels from Ribble and they where quite quick though its only 30mls away...

As for quickness of delivery - even if you pick free delivery its still 3-4 days max.

Its: Competition to get the customers, NOT competitive prices.

From what I see.

Other

Had to take Ribble to the small claims court after they claimed the strap failing on my Giro Pneumo on the first day was "fair wear and tear".They refused to replace or repair so off the the SCC we went.

Wiggle use CityLink - totally useless as a delivery service, unreliable, difficult and incompetent.

Parker has the same selection as UK BikeStore, so no advantage

UK BikeStore is on my way home in the evenings, and has proven reliable, honest and convenient

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
All of them, Parker/Ribble real good for road stuff, although CRC have had my business the last few times - just what I wanted, great price, fast delivery...

I've used Parker for 15 years - even in the days of 'telephone ordering'. I've used Ribble too - even drove the 100 mile round trip to buy my Dura Ace kit for my Herety, 18 years ago........ the groupset was worth more than my car then....oops !!!!

No issues with Wiggle also !

monnet

Guru
Parker or Wiggle,I've used Ribble both mail order and the shop but frankly I trust them as faras I can throw them these days and wouldn't go near them with a barge pole. I'd rather pay more from someone else than line the pockets of the family that own Ribble.

Top Bottom