Do You Soak Your Nuts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I eat a lot of nuts and seeds. I was reading an article the other day which suggested that soaking your nuts for a few hours was a good thing.

Does anyone do this and if you do are they any better or is this a load of nonsense?

:biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Only after a long cycle. Once, on a long 'cross-country' ride on my MTB on a hot summers day, I went across a ford. I was so hot, I had to dunk my @rse in the water to cool down. Oh, sorry, you were talking about food. No, I don't. :biggrin:

U

User169

threebikesmcginty said:
Does anyone do this and if you do are they any better or is this a load of nonsense?

:biggrin:

It sounds plausible. I guess the idea is that you develop enzymes which help break down whatever's in them to increase nutrient bioavailability.

A bit like malting in brewing.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Trying to get fit 3BM?

355_img_1.jpg

Sambu

the enzymes that might be present ould be killed by roasting wouldnt they? it takes about 5 days to malt barley so you'd have to soak them a while.?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Sounds horrible! Who cares about the health benefits? Nuts aren't for health. Nuts are for Nice. Crunch crunch crunch. So what, you're going to make 'em all squidgy just 'cos it's better for you? The hell with that. Up with Crunchy Nuts!

OP
OP
threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Uncle Mort said:
"Doctor" Gillian McKeith was always banging on about a single sprouted seed containing all the potrential of a grown tree wasn't she? So it's probably just bollocks.

If that dung obsessed loon says it's good, it's bad...

LynnA

Apologies for raising the tone of the thread and going back to TBM's original question!

I understood that you should blanche almonds as this made them more disgestable. I don't think you need to do this with any other nut.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I soak cashew nuts overnight before using them in Indian / SE Asian recipes, but then, like peanuts, they aren't really 'nuts' anyway.

Top Bottom