Do you thank considerate drivers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rebel Ian

I always thank motorists for either waiting to pass me or for not pulling out of junctions when others might have. If it leaves them with a positive view of cyclists then we all benefit.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
The drivers of Maidenhead must wonder why they keep getting waves from cyclists as I do this too. :biggrin:

A few years ago, I did some motorbike training with the Met police and one thing I remember after an observation ride is that the policewoman lucky enough to be assigned to me said she always waved thanks to drivers who waited in side roads because "I think it is important to say thanks for not killing me".

I have found myself sometimes doing this at RABs too. You have to be careful its not misinterpreted as a signal, though, so usually I use a nod instead.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I often acknoledge considerate car drivers. Spreading a little goodwil between drivers and cyclists has got to be good.

Its usually not long before some ar£e comes along and bursts your little happiness bubble.:biggrin:

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I always try to make some sort of signal, either raise my hand, thumbs up, smile, nod my head,- Depends on where i'm riding, what condition the road is, what speed i'm doing etc as to which one i'll use.
I always shout "Cheers/Thnak you" even though I know they probably can't hear me. Years ago on my first driving lesson, my instructor told me not to acknowledge other drivers, to keep my hands on the wheel, he would wave if needed, I felt impolite not thnak someone for somehting so I started saying Thank you out loud - The habit has stuck, 22 years later I still do it when in the car & even on my bike :tongue:

400bhp

Guru
I can't say I always do it. Sometimes I'm too busy with what I am doing on the bike but generally yes.

I had a driver wait behind me at a r'about earlier today. Very good manners by them and so they got a wave as the went past. :smile:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I always acknowledge the careful ones. There's a lot of tight bends around here and the drivers that wait patiently until a straight bit always get a little wave of thanks. On thinking about it, it does seem slightly weird thanking someone for not killing you but there we go! Anything that spreads a bit of goodwill has got to be a good thing.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Every time. I also hold up my hand if I've taken primary approaching a roundabout etc. It's not that they've been considerate as such, more that they haven't tried to come past me........I'm thanking them for not being inconsiderate.

bongofury66

Yes I do. In acknowledgment that they are actually paying attention if nothing else. It may just prevent my death or injury from someone who thinks that excavating their nasal cavities is more important than my life.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Always. And a big cheery grin if they've been especially nice. Which they often are. On the lanes around here, loads of drivers stop at the top of a hill so I can claw my way up with without stopping. It's highly embarrassing but very kind nonetheless.

Top Bottom