Do you thank considerate drivers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

Reading another thread, I agree that a lot of drivers are considerate. But many are not.

One thing I do try and do when I can is to thank a considerate driver.

For example if i am aware that a car holds back when approaching a pinch point, i will offer them a "thumbs up" signal if safe to do so..

Does any one else?

Mark_Robson

As often as I can. Costs nowt to be polite :thumbsup:

lilolee

Veteran
All of the time.

Every chance to thank a driver should be taken. The more we try to make it less 'Us n Them' the better. I even nod at drivers for not pulling out in front of me when I have 'right of way'

Cheers - Lee

Hi all,

Reading another thread, I agree that a lot of drivers are considerate. But many are not.

One thing I do try and do when I can is to thank a considerate driver.

For example if i am aware that a car holds back when approaching a pinch point, i will offer them a "thumbs up" signal if safe to do so..

Does any one else?

Yes, i try to make a point of thanking considerate drivers. One driver of a breakdown truck held well back through a pinch point, so i gave him a thumbs up when he passed, he then switched on the yellow lights on top of his cab for a couple of seconds in recognition :thumbsup:.

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
always respond positively to good road sharing. A thumbs up, a friendly wave or an acknowledging nod goes a long way.

Yes, same here.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I do this too.

The other day I was struggling up Abbey Hill and a van driver held back until it was safe. When he did come past he used the other side of the road (as it gets a bit tight around there), I have him a wave and a nod, he flashed his hazards. I presume the hazard flash is "I appreciate it"?

I kind of feel guilty if I cant thank a driver, fast descents or poor road surfaces etc. The appreciation is always there though.

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
Yes, I'll always put my hand up and say 'thank you'.

I ride a lot of small country roads in my area and most car drivers are sensible enough to drive them slowly altho there is still a small amount of idiots impatient drivers who don't have a second to spare

Norm

All of the time.

Every chance to thank a driver should be taken. The more we try to make it less 'Us n Them' the better. I even nod at drivers for not pulling out in front of me when I have 'right of way'

Cheers - Lee
The drivers of Maidenhead must wonder why they keep getting waves from cyclists as I do this too. :biggrin:

A few years ago, I did some motorbike training with the Met police and one thing I remember after an observation ride is that the policewoman lucky enough to be assigned to me said she always waved thanks to drivers who waited in side roads because "I think it is important to say thanks for not killing me".

Top Bottom