Do You Torque?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I'm sure this is a well worn subject, can't find a suitable thread through the search...

Just allen bolting a few bits on the bike and there are various torque recommendations. I've always just tightened them up to what I think seems enough so that the part won't come loose.

Should I be using a torque wrench?

If it's a definite 'yes, what's the matter with you, are you nuts?' Any ideas on a good one for not ridiculous money.

Cheers...

Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.

Cheap torque wrenches are not accurate torque wrenches, and can be as much as 25% or more out, and do not deliver a consistent torque from a single setting when tightening successive nuts/bolts ... .... ..... I have learnt this lesson to my cost in the past.

If you want to apply the specific torque laid out in your bicycle's hand book, then invest in a decent torque wrench. As with most thing in this society of ours it will be the lower cost option in the long run.

I use torque wrenches professionally and over the years have owned and used most of the major brands; Snap-On, Britool, Facom, etc. and have now settled on Norbar torque wrenches. OK, you may not need or use one on such a regular basis as me, but the Norbar torque wrenches have met and exceeded all of my requirements. Their after sales and calibration service is second to none, and has never let me down; unlike Snap-On and Britool.

www.norbar.com

adscrim

Veteran
threebikesmcginty said:
Should I be using a torque wrench?

I was under the impression it was more of an issue with carbon components - where over tightening something could damage damage whatever it was being tightened around.

bonj2

it's good to be confident you're doing things that need to be tight, tight enough, and that you're doing things that clamp on to e.g. carbon not too tight. However it is the tool that gives you the most rope to hang yourself with - i'm not THAT hamfisted as many and i've mullered quite a few components with it.
Use it judiciously, and you will be fine. Remember it has a longer handle than a traditional allen key, so it is easy to apply too much torque.
You can apparently get small ones that are pre-set to say 6Nm, the torque required for tightening stuff onto carbon tubing. ah here you go found one http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/ritchey-torqkey-item116118.html

Mr Pig

I've worked on machines for years so have a pretty good feel for torque. If you don't I think a wrench can be a good idea. I have a mate who does all his own stuff and clearly has no idea. He's stripped threads and had bolts come loose so many times it's ridiculous. If you look at a torque setting and have no idea how tight it is I would say yes, get a torque wrench.

GrasB

Veteran
I see this more in automotive work but when using torque wrenches it's much easier to feel for something wrong. I you have a torque wrench clicking through when something doesn't feel like it's on correctly then 9 times out of 10 something isn't right.

Top Bottom