Do you use dust caps?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Get stuck? I've never seen a stuck valve cap in my life.

Years ago, when we were doing up the kitchen, there was a strong smell of gas one day. The cooker had been taken out of the room and just the pipe coming up out of the floor was left. On top of the pipe is a valve which is pretty much exactly like a larger version of the Schrader ones on cars and bikes. A bit of grit had fallen into the valve and jammed it open very slightly.

That's why I use valve caps.

John the Monkey said:
Schwalbe tubes come with clear caps - that way you can use them and not have people who don't use them mock you mercilessly. xx(

I mock those mercilessly for being wannabe capless riders. At least those who ride with yellow caps are proud to show their preference. Clear ones are hiding in the closet.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Touche said:
I mock those mercilessly for being wannabe capless riders. At least those who ride with yellow caps are proud to show their preference. Clear ones are hiding in the closet.

It's a cruel world out there, and no mistake.

Fiona N

Veteran
I especially like the way the yellow Conti valve covers coordinate with Michelin Pro tyres with a yellow stripe xx(

Jonathan M

coruskate said:
Perhaps my tyres are thinner than yours or my tubes more gas-permeable, but I can't usually survive more than a couple of weeks without needing to put some air in them. Never yet had a problem with stuck nuts, or at least not in that context

I just don't give my bikes any TLC. Putting air in tyres is a last resort. Tea leaves can't knick it if it has no air in tyres.

xx(

brodie

I've never used the nuts.

I used to use the caps but I generally don't now, esp on latex tubes as I have to pump them up every couple of days.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Uncle Mort said:
I don't think it's a should thing, it's just they're not needed; according to Sheldon:

Separate valve caps are not needed with Presta valves. The caps that come with Presta tubes and tubulars are there so that the pointy end of the valve won't puncture your spare tube or tubular while it is rolled up. There's no reason to use them in actual riding

As above. They're just extra faff. Same with the valve lock-rings. It's never been a problem.

I'd cap Schraders though. They are vulnerable to ingress of muck.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Never considered not leaving them there- otherwise why would manufacturers go to the expense and hassle of making and fitting them?
... I'm off for a cuppa.

Blackandblue

A mate of mine who used to race a lot (nearly went pro) told me he doesn't use them because of the time it takes to pop 'em off and on if you puncture in a race. Caps and the nuts.

I tend to use them on my commuter but not on my other bike.

And I find I need to pump my tyres on my commuter every week or two. I always put it down to the state of London roads - but I can't really explain that statement as I accept the air has to go somewhere and, absent a puncture, I'm not sure where it disappears.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Blackandblue said:
A mate of mine who used to race a lot (nearly went pro) told me he doesn't use them because of the time it takes to pop 'em off and on if you puncture in a race. Caps and the nuts.
I can see that.

However, I'm just some bloke puttering about Cheshire with an 18mph average - more important to keep the cow sh*t off the valve for me.

(And I do like the Conti Yellow).

Top Bottom