Do you use dust caps?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Blackandblue said:
And I find I need to pump my tyres on my commuter every week or two. I always put it down to the state of London roads - but I can't really explain that statement as I accept the air has to go somewhere and, absent a puncture, I'm not sure where it disappears.

Tubes are slightly porous, yer standard butyl less so than latex. They don't contain a lot of air to start with, and it's at high pressure. Therefore only a small amount of loss will give a noticeable reduction in pressure.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Ian H said:
Tubes are slightly porous, yer standard butyl less so than latex. They don't contain a lot of air to start with, and it's at high pressure. Therefore only a small amount of loss will give a noticeable reduction in pressure.

Use nitrogen- doesn't leak as fast unless there's a sudden pressure drop....! ;)[Costco use it]

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
ASC1951 said:
I use both, but the collar nut is more important than the dust cap - it saves you putting a load on the valve/tube connection when you pump it up.

This bit is wrong, because it won't do anything to prevent valve/tube damage. It'd have to be on the other side of the rim for that to work.

dodgy

BentMikey said:
This bit is wrong, because it won't do anything to prevent valve/tube damage. It'd have to be on the other side of the rim for that to work.

It's not the first time I've heard someone mention that as a benefit of using the little collars, funny when you see their face as you explain physics to them :sad:

GrasB

Veteran
With a presta remove dust cap ride though a deep puddle, or down a river bed in my case, & leave the bike to stand for 3 or 4 days & the try to open the valve. My experience is this doesn't work. The problem isn't the water it's all the dust, mud & c**p in the water that settles on the thread.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Mr Pig said:
The nut does help when pumping up. It stops the stem being pushed into the hole as you fit the pump on.

Aye, it can do. Not a problem on road tyres, since either the pressure is so high the valve can't be pushed in anyway, or you can just push the valve by pushing on the tyre. I guess it might be more of a pain with fat tyres like on an MTB?

I prefer to avoid having the nut on there, because if it gets overly tight it can help cause a separation between tube and valve.

02GF74

Über Member
Archie_tect said:
Use nitrogen- doesn't leak as fast unless there's a sudden pressure drop....! :smile:[Costco use it]

that isn't gonna make a lot of difference, air is 4/5 Nitrogen.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
02GF74 said:
that isn't gonna make a lot of difference, air is 4/5 Nitrogen.

Yeees, appreciate that! :smile:...but it's the oxygen and CO2 [and inerts] making up the 1/5 that leak out that requires pumping back in, the Nitrogen molecules stay put.

I didn't think anyone would seriously cycle to their nearest Costco to take them up on it but hey, it's a wierd and wonderful world!

GrasB

Veteran
Nitrogen in tyres is also great for keeping the tyre more stable, try nitrogen filling a car tyre & see the degrease in tyre wear & increase in cornering stability. Sure the air is 4/5 nitrogen but it's the remaining 1/5 of other stuff that causes most problems.

Top Bottom