Doctor Who?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
I enjoy a bit of Dr Who for the tacky jokes/humour. It's a bit of good fun, Matt Smith plays the role brilliantly (I was getting bored of David Tennet who just liked to role around in pain every episode crying about how crap his life was because his house was a blue box).

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Who's there?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Never seen any of the new stuff,w ent off doctor who after this guy.....

pirate.jpg

Mycroft

coruskate said:
The individual episodes this season do stand up fairly well, but the "crack in the wall" recurring theme just seems like it's been wedged in at the end.

and the bad wolf stuff DIDNT feel tacked on??

pfft.

--

we each have our Drs, from when we watched it most. Patrick Troughton (2nd one) wasn't really liked either, but IMO is one of the best. amazing actor IMO.

Tom Baker wasn't a huge hit early on replacing Jon Pretwee, yet for a large portion of the adult population he IS Dr Who.

in the William Hartnell serial "War Machines" a computer named Wotan (that lived in the GPO tower, gained a personality {by hooking up to other computers world wide... HEY the internet in 1964!} took over humans via mind control and decided to get the humans to build war machines, and one supposes "go to war"!!)

made the request

"Dr Who is required" at the end/start of an episode.

just to answer the query "has he been called Dr Who on screen.

he has.

but then as its asked by a crazed early 60s botnet trojan virus infested computer... does it really count?

answers on the back of a ten pound note please

Arch

Married to Night Train
Shaun said:
I know there's been criticism of this latest Doctor, but as the series ploughs on I'm starting to realise that its the script, not the actor that's wanting.

I decided that by the second episode...

Having missed 3 or 4 weeks episodes, I'll be baffled tonight.

DavieB

MIA
I downloaded the last 3 to catch up in time for tonights finale. I never watched the Dr Who before this series but had watched Torchwood, which I think is brilliant. My daughters kept going on about it so I watched the series finale where David Tenant was killed off and have watched this whole series now, I quite like it. Looking forward to tonight.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Kaipaith said:
Nah. It didn't really work for him, and he didn't really work for it. He may have ended up making a good "adult" doctor, but it's a kids show, not a serious serial.
I never liked much any of the old Doctor Whos simply because I don't like science fiction that has little if no linkage to the real world in which we live. For me, its this linkage that makes the modern Doctor Whos more entertaining. That's also the reason why I don't like Star Wars or Star Trek (except the one where they returned to the earth to pick up the Killer Whale). I'm probably a minority of one on this, but that's fine.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
At last someone else who thinks Patrick Troughton was the best Dr :shy:

Did I understand tonights, he jumped about in time using some cheap wristwatch thing and saved himself. If that was the case, why has he never done that before ? :wahhey:

Arch

Married to Night Train
mr_cellophane said:
At last someone else who thinks Patrick Troughton was the best Dr :shy:

Did I understand tonights, he jumped about in time using some cheap wristwatch thing and saved himself. If that was the case, why has he never done that before ? :wahhey:

Yeah, I wondered about that a bit.

Maybe being away for a few weeks has broken the weak spell it still had over me, but I struggled to care.

Shaun said:
I never liked much any of the old Doctor Whos simply because I don't like science fiction that has little if no linkage to the real world in which we live.
In the original series, there is very definite linkage with the 'real' world. In fact the very first episode (you can watch it here) is set indisputably in 20th century Earth: indeed, as you can see, the episode opens with a very British Bobby patrolling a very British street. Providing a raison d'être for the Tardis's 'disguise' maybe. And we soon switch to a very British secondary school and meet its two unarguably Earthling teachers who are soon to be shanghaied aboard the Tardis...

mr_cellophane said:
At last someone else who thinks Patrick Troughton was the best Dr :wahhey:
You think so? Maybe. Troughton certainly gave the Doctor an unforgettable character trait which none of the others have come close to.

I have a tendency to put Bill Hartnell on a pedestal, I suppose, because he was the first, and there's always a special affection - among us oldsters - for the first of anything. But he was by no means good in the role, I'll admit that. He often fluffed lines, he wasn't always convincing in his acting, and he had an annoying habit of 'talking to the fourth wall', a cardinal actor's mistake. And in the end the BBC had to fire him, allegedly because of his drink problems amongst other things. Hence the 'regeneration' scenes - which have been a feature of the Doctor ever since!

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I've gone off Dr Who. He's just a superhero in a children's programme with weak plots. I can't remember Troughton or Hartnell, but I thought Pertwee was good. I was too young to notice how camp he was and that his kung fu was crap. Tom Baker was good too, but he hung on too long, and by the end of his tenancy the programme had become a bit crap.

It annoys me when the writers foist their own personal politics on the doctor. Russell T Davis's doctor was all about how gay men can be really great friends with women, but can't reciprocate their love, which was not an issue when the doctor was a middle-aged man. In the 80s, someone made the doctor a vegetarian, which annoyed me too.

dondare

Über Member
William Hartnell was The Doctor. If the series had started with any of the others it would have been called something else because none of the others have been "Doctorish".

I would prefer to see a return to the original concept with a suitably doctorish Doctor. For my money Timothy West would fit the bill. Then we could forget about him being dashing and sexy and just have good plots and scripts. (Wobbly cardboard sets optional.)

jonesy

Guru
This series has had its moments, I actually thought it got off to good start considering there had been a complete change of characters as well as a new producer, but somehow it didn't live up to what I'd hoped for from Steven Moffat. There wasn't anything that stood out in the way that his stories did in the RTD days, which rather suggests that RTD produced Moffat rather better than Moffat can produce himself. The Beast Below was reasonable Moffat fare, but there wasn't anything like Blink. I wonder if having to produce a whole series, with a common theme across all episodes, and having to involve all the traditional enemies like Daleks and Cybermen, has detracted from his ability to come up with the one really original story that he delivered for each of the previous series.

PBancroft

In retrospect, I'm a little disappointed with the series, but I'm inclined to give the guy a break. For one thing, I think that expectations were so high that he could never live up to it. In fact, I think he probably made a relatively "small" series with that in mind.

For another thing, I don't actually think this series was any worse than anything RTD offered, and the climax was somewhat better than the usual fare. Sure it had its weak points, but anyone remember the farting Aliens of London and World War Three (not to mention Boom Town), and the somewhat lacklustre opening episode Rose... all just from the [new] first series?

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I too was pretty disappointed with the series, having had high hopes for Steven Moffat's helmsmanship. But it's his first, and the first with a new Doc, so I'm hoping that it'll pick up as the next Matt Smith series gets going.

Have to say, I was greatly relieved that the 2nd part of the finale wasn't the usual RTD let-down. I actually thoroughly enjoyed it, as did my daughter. Rip-roaring, brain-bending stuff!

As for the comment of a previous poster, the wrist-worn time-travel device belongs to River Song, not the Doctor - hence the reason he's not used it before...

Top Bottom