dodgy advice in the Times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Trillian said:
bonj, If i could afford them, i would fit them to the front end of my On-One inbred (which i built from parts) which is currently singlespeed with 90mm of travel and ride any trail centre you point at, i'm quite fond of a rigid set up from time to time.

if thats not a proper mountain bike, what is?

you can probably just about do trail centres on rigids, but not exactly well.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
So Bonj are you trying to say that the likes of the Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 1 Mountain Bike 2008 - Full Suspension MTB, is not a propper mountain bike and only good for commuting? I feel that £3900 is a wee bit more than most people would spend on a bike for commutting and light trail use, and maybe more aimed at hard core mountain bikers, but then again I don't do that much mountain biking.

bonj2

Hairy Jock said:
So Bonj are you trying to say that the likes of the Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 1 Mountain Bike 2008 - Full Suspension MTB, is not a propper mountain bike and only good for commuting? I feel that £3900 is a wee bit more than most people would spend on a bike for commutting and light trail use, and maybe more aimed at hard core mountain bikers, but then again I don't do that much mountain biking.

:ohmy: er... no! I'm not saying that! IIRC I didn't say 'NO mtb has carbon forks', I asked 'what MTB has carbon forks', and that's an example. So thanks.
It has got a lefty which I personally wouldn't have because they seem disconcerting to me, but it is definitely a very 'proper' MTB.

As a side point: Even so, they're not ENTIRELY carbon. Actual FULL carbon forks are actually quite rare (but do exist), a lot of rigid carbon road bike forks have alloy steerer and crown, even others (like mine) that have got carbon steerer have actually still got an alloy crown.

Trillian

bonj said:
you can probably just about do trail centres on rigids, but not exactly well.

i'm quite smooth on rigids actually, I started mountain biking in 1995, first suspension forks had 50mm of travel and I got those in 2002

ridden a mixture of bikes over the past couple of years, both with and without rigid forks, the inbred only has them for doing the style cop DH tracks.

happily do the dual and 4X at chicksands without them.

Top Bottom