Dodgy Gear Changes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaleB

Hi all,

My bike has been running fine until the other day when i obtained a dreaded puncture which ripped a hole in the side wall of my tyre!

Because of this i changed the tyres on both the front and back wheels... I've never taken a back wheel off before but was shown how to do everything from a helpful guy at 'Evans Cycles'.

Replacing the back wheel and the gears seemed to go smoothly - however, now every time i go out i get a couple of gear changes that when i click the leaver nothing happens and all i hear is a clicking noise (as if i wants to go but maybe it's misaligned)...

Can anyone offer any advice on how to rectify this issue? :rolleyes:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Have a look at this.

gwhite

Über Member
Before you adjust anything at all you should check that the wheel is correctly centred. If the gears were fine before the puncture, then they should still be fine after without adjustment to the gears.

OP
OP
DaleB

DaleB

gwhite said:
Before you adjust anything at all you should check that the wheel is correctly centred. If the gears were fine before the puncture, then they should still be fine after without adjustment to the gears.

Do you think i should undo the quick release, and 'bang it around a bit'?

Really simple question but: how do i check that everything's properly centred?

:laugh:

potsy

Rambler
DaleB said:

:laugh:
That's what i'd do,undo then press down on the back of the bike,should feel it go into position if it's not already.

OP
OP
DaleB

DaleB

Yep, did this today before i set off... It seems a little better, as i only remember the gear 'clicking' twice - maybe i should try it again?!?!

DaleB said:

:sad:

The brake alignment is a pretty good giverway - Ive taken the wheel out and something is not quite right - one look at the brakes normally tells me that I have not put the wheel back properly

Top Bottom