Does a 'TomTom' exist for bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
The battery only lasts for a couple of hours though. And the mount I have is a bit rubbish (even though it had good scores and wasn't especially inexpensive) - I have had several heart stopping moments where I have hit a pothole and the mount has flown off - in traffic!! :eek: I don't think you can charge the phone while it's in a mount?

Cheers Smokey, I might pop into Halfords. From what i understand the 200 doesn't have proper mapping? The 800 does I think (?) but it's over £300 and seems to do a load of geeky stuff I shall never need or understand how to use! There's a 500 in the middle but don't know what that does?
The edge 500 is very very very basic satnav, just a line on the screen. You have to plan your routes online and download them. There are a lot of reports of them 'freezing' on routes over fifty miles, tho mine never did. I used mine as a reminder to where I was going, and always carried maps just in case I went off route, as the edge doesn't have a reroute feature.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Garmin Etrex.
Fantastic Battery Life (16-20 hours with good recahrgeable AAs - more with Lithiums)
Good mounts available from Garmin and others.

Doesn't do spoken instructions but you can set it up to put the instructions on the screen.
Best to input your destination by finding it on the computer screen first and then transferring it with the USB cable.

Personally I plan the route on-screen first and transfer that, rather than letting it decide on which way it's going to take me.
+1 (as an Edge 705 owner). Don't get me wrong, the 705 is a great bit of kit, working within its limitations, but if you want mapping, don't need or want cadence/HRM and training functions, then overall the Etrex series are on balance a bit stronger. The Edge battery life has been fine for me most of the time (USB charge packs work well for long runs and/or peace of mind), but the Etrex will give you longer life, and the easy option to swap out the batteries should you need to. And you can still power it via USB as well.

Whichever device you choose, onboard routing is a crock (IMHO). On the 705 it kills the battery life, takes an age, stops the unit displaying trifling information such as where you are while it's doing its stuff, and it still comes up with flawed routing. Use something like bikehike or bikeroute toaster (Google StreetView is also handy to check bike-friendliness etc) to preplan instead, and don't be afraid to decide the route's wrong on the day. If nothing else, it'll make a great compass :smile:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks all

The Garmin Extrex appears to be more for walking - don't see how it attaches to a bike

Popped into Pearsons - they seem to think using the iPhone is the best option but I can't see how I can charge it on the go on the handlebars and keep it protected from the elements

Maybe the Bryton Rider50 is the best, £180 from Evans or £170 from Tweeks - anywhere cheaper?

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
If you're spending £300 on an edge 800 you are doing something terribly wrong. I got mine for £200 brand new, they aren't much more new on handtec.co.uk

£234 http://www.handtec.co.uk/satnav-gps/cycling-gps/garmin-edge-800-black-white-010-00899-01.html

Basemap is crap though but if you know where to look ;) garmins maps can be had for £0, or indeed there are a few open source options out there.
Everywhere else the Garmin 800 (series) seems to be over £300, is this an older model or indeed something different?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Everywhere else the Garmin 800 (series) seems to be over £300, is this an older model or indeed something different?
You're probably looking at a bundle version/included maps, or chancers who haven't adjusted pricing

No differences other than colour

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Ta

Where can the Etrex30 be got for £130? Looking at the pictures, it appears to be more hike than road going?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Ta

Where can the Etrex30 be got for £130? Looking at the pictures, it appears to be more hike than road going?
You can get the 20 for that price, not the 30. Don't get hung up about the pictures or Garmin's categorisation of it- it (like most GPS devices, to be entirely fair) is multipurpose. And if they didn't consider it suitable for bike use, Garmin wouldn't have done a bike mount. Certainly, plenty on here are very happy with them.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Ps,

I've managed to order an Etrex30 for £129 new and has all the satnav features I think and open source maps are free too.

He said £129 for the 30

I am more confused now, not less. I am erring towards the Bryton but will wait a while

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
He said £129 for the 30

I am more confused now, not less. I am erring towards the Bryton but will wait a while
Thru groupon and you can buy the handlebar bracket separate. By going thru groupon it takes a bit longer for delivery. I've bought the golf trolley bracket it's a bit more substantial than the cycling one.

Top Bottom