Does any body take on board this advice for road riding ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Just found this gem on the BBC website.

Approximately two million people in Britain cycle at least once a week, and there are more than 80,000 members of cycling clubs. The ability to ride comfortably and safely in a bunch of riders is perhaps the essential skill of road racing.

It has a strong club-based culture, so a great place to start is by joining a club which regularly runs training rides on public roads.

Before taking to the course, it is essential to wear safety equipment such as a helmet, cycling gloves and elbow and knee pads. If you are riding on public roads, it is important to wear high visibility gear.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/get-inspired/23147947

Kies

... they missed off kevlar chest protector

Brandane

Legendary Member

Or just buy one of these:

drive-tank-001.jpg

chriss2.0

knight.jpg
... they missed off kevlar chest protector

these days this is what you need:tongue:

Davidc

Guru
I've never worn knee or elbow pads and never intend to, I sometimes wear a helmet but not because I expect it to provide any protection. I always wear hand protection, though when it's hot it drops to padded mitts.

What the BBC has missed out is what I consider the most important and vital piece of protective equipment. Eye protection.

My prescription glasses are shatter proof and are the minimum I use. I also have sport glasses, both yellow tinted and sun type, which I use with contacts and stick-on bifocal lenses.

The likelihood of head injury is statistically low, but people wear helmets. The probability of hand and eye injury is very much higher and definitely high enough to make them worth wearing.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been cycling for over 40years, I only wear gloves when its cold, I've never worn a helmet and I've never worn any other safety equipment.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My neighbour at work is an antique restorer. He always wears gloves on his bike. "You put your hands down on the tarmac when you come off. It means you can't work for ten days." Sound advice. I ought to wear glasses too. I once rode through a swarm of small, strange flies in an underpass. The resultant acid-laced mush ended up in the back of my eye sockets. It stung like hell for hours.

Top Bottom