Does anybody else have trouble with gear shifter logic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
onlyhuman

onlyhuman

John the Monkey said:
You could think of the mech moving in the direction of the lever. (Rightwards for front mech, leftwards for rear).

This does work for me John, thank you, I did 50 miles this evening and thinking about it this way meant I could quickly trim the derailleurs to stop the chain rattling.

jimboalee

onlyhuman said:

HSA ( Homo SApien ) is 98% PTR ( Pan TRoglodytes, see John the Monkey's avatar ) + 1% Other Mamalians + 1% God given Intelligence.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
onlyhuman said:
This does work for me John, thank you, I did 50 miles this evening and thinking about it this way meant I could quickly trim the derailleurs to stop the chain rattling.

Nice one - once you have an idea of it that works in your head, it does start to become second nature. For me, it was thinking about raising & releasing cable tension that helped, oddly.

jimboalee

In a previous life, I was a motorcar tester.

There were Right hand manuals, Right hand autos, Left hand autos and a few Left hand manuals.

New recruits to the department would learn to drive each type while carefully following a speed/distance schedule on a chassis dynamometer. FTP 75 Emissions testing.

Any young whippersnapper who thought he was a good driver would be given a Right hand auto Ford Scorpio and told to 'follow the trace'.

When ( and they all did ) he stepped on the brake pedal thinking it was the clutch, we would spray the car with shaving foam and ring bells.

Hilarity over, he would then be given a manual gearbox car and told to 'follow the trace'. The FTP 75 schedule does not have any prompts for gearchanges and they need to be done swiftly and cleanly at the correct engine revs AND stay within the speed tolerances each side of the line.

Different cars have different gearbox characteristics. One 'practice' drive, one 'catalyst conditioning' drive and the next morning is the official test drive.
It had to be good. Any error would invalidate the test and waste £800.

Now I have people complaining they have trouble changing gear on a bicycle :smile:

Mortiroloboy

As accountantpete so succinctly puts it thumb down, finger up, easy really, just make sure you read the road ahead and allow yourself time to change gear, just like you would when driving a car.

OP
OP
onlyhuman

onlyhuman

User259iroloboy said:
As accountantpete so succinctly puts it thumb down, finger up, easy really, just make sure you read the road ahead and allow yourself time to change gear, just like you would when driving a car.

The left thumb has the opposite effect to the right. Left thumb makes pedalling easier, right thumb makes pedalling harder. If one of these is "up", the other must be "down". What you and Pete say doesn't make sense to me.

jimboalee

They say ( whoever 'they' are ) "practice makes perfect".

Find where the ring changeover point is on your gear range.

eg. 53x17, 53x19, 53x21, 39x19, 39x21, 39x23

Go for a ride round the residential streets. Use the gears like you would in a car, starting from stopped in low ( 39x23 ). As you gain speed, change up one ratio at a time until you are cruising in 53x17 ( or whatever your bike has ).
When approaching a junction, change down one, maybe two ratios at a time until you come to a stop in 'low' ( 39x23 ).

Progress will be slow but you will soon get the hang of which lever or thumb trigger to push.

OP
OP
onlyhuman

onlyhuman

jimboalee said:
They say ( whoever 'they' are ) "practice makes perfect".

Find where the ring changeover point is on your gear range.

eg. 53x17, 53x19, 53x21, 39x19, 39x21, 39x23

Go for a ride round the residential streets. Use the gears like you would in a car, starting from stopped in low ( 39x23 ). As you gain speed, change up one ratio at a time until you are cruising in 53x17 ( or whatever your bike has ).
When approaching a junction, change down one, maybe two ratios at a time until you come to a stop in 'low' ( 39x23 ).

Progress will be slow but you will soon get the hang of which lever or thumb trigger to push.

Not a great listener are you Jim.

asterix

Comrade Member
onlyhuman said:

That's not actually his job on this forum. Jim is the guy who can (eventually) reduce any problem to mathematics, as far as I can undertand.

WRT the logic of gear shifting, there is none. You just have to learn. I have a bike with STI and another with Ergo and it's far worse than just having one system to get the hang of of which to get the hang.

jimboalee

onlyhuman said:

If you are refering to your original post where you ask for a "mental trick", the 'mental trick' in this instance is called

MEMORY ....

Or as us who have well developed High Accelerated Region say,,, "RECALL"... because a human being memorises EVERYTHING... it's the individual's power of recall that lets him/her sit his/her exams a doddle.

jimboalee

gf1959 said:
Small lever makes it harder,big lever easier,it will become second nature

Still not correct. Small lever on front changer shifts chain to smaller chainring.

Try this...

Flick both small levers simultaneously.
The chain will fall onto a smaller ring and the onto a smaller sprocket, resulting in a net reduction in gear ratio.

Pushing both large levers simultaneously is more tricky, and I don't do it. I push the front changer first followed shortly afterward by the rear changer.
The rear changer can shift the chain up to three sprockets at a swipe, so 'over changing' is likely if hand co-ordination is poor.

OP
OP
onlyhuman

onlyhuman

jimboalee said:
If you are refering to your original post where you ask for a "mental trick", the 'mental trick' in this instance is called

MEMORY ....

Or as us who have well developed High Accelerated Region say,,, "RECALL"... because a human being memorises EVERYTHING... it's the individual's power of recall that lets him/her sit his/her exams a doddle.

You have a well-developed what??

Top Bottom