Does anybody else have trouble with gear shifter logic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

onlyhuman

I have now been using Ergo shifters for about a month. When I am faced with a sudden gear change, I still get confused about which levers go which way. It was the same with the gripshift system, and with thumb shifters, it never quite becomes automatic, I have to think about it, then it's too late, or I go the wrong way.

I think my problem may arise from the way the same action with the right and left levers has the opposite result. On the right hand, pushing the lever under the brake lever makes pedalling easier. On the left hand, the same action makes pedalling harder.

Does it have to be that way? Could the shifters be adapted so that the brake lever shifter made pedalling easier on both the front and rear derailleur?

Does anybody else have this problem? Does anybody have a solution, some mental trick that would get this apparently simple procedure into my head?

MajorMantra

Ride more and don't think too hard - hopefully muscle memory will then sort itself out.

Shimano do (or did) a Rapid Rise rear mech where pulling the trigger shifter puts you in an easier gear. My mtb has one and I find it rather weird. Pretty sure there's no easy way to get one for a Campag equipped bike.

Matthew

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
onlyhuman said:
I have now been using Ergo shifters for about a month. When I am faced with a sudden gear change, I still get confused about which levers go which way. It was the same with the gripshift system, and with thumb shifters, it never quite becomes automatic, I have to think about it, then it's too late, or I go the wrong way.

I think my problem may arise from the way the same action with the right and left levers has the opposite result. On the right hand, pushing the lever under the brake lever makes pedalling easier. On the left hand, the same action makes pedalling harder.

Does it have to be that way? Could the shifters be adapted so that the brake lever shifter made pedalling easier on both the front and rear derailleur?

Does anybody else have this problem? Does anybody have a solution, some mental trick that would get this apparently simple procedure into my head?

If you understand why it's like that, i think it helps.

The leaver under the break on your left makes it go harder, it's the bigger one you use with your thumb and has more travel. this is because the chain is going onto a bigger chainring. the button on top is easy to push and puts the chain on a smaller chainring.

So the bigger leaver which needs more leverage is to put the chain on a bigger chainring. hence why they are reversed.

gaz said:
If you understand why it's like that, i think it helps.

The leaver under the break on your left makes it go harder, it's the bigger one you use with your thumb and has more travel. this is because the chain is going onto a bigger chainring. the button on top is easy to push and puts the chain on a smaller chainring.

So the bigger leaver which needs more leverage is to put the chain on a bigger chainring. hence why they are reversed.

that's a very good explanation, but it's lever and brake!

redjedi

Über Member
Rather than thinking about easier or harder gears, try and think about the cog size.

Both the big levers, push the chain onto a bigger cog.
Both the small levers flick the chain unto a smaller cog.

Now just remember that bigger at the back is easier, bigger at the front is harder.

OP
OP
onlyhuman

onlyhuman

Davidc said:
It's always been the same, even back to down tube levers. Follow MajorMantra's advice and you'll get used to it.

I know it is sensible advice, but I never really got used to down tube levers, thumb shifters or grip shifters. I sometimes think there is a fault in my wiring. When there is a choice between two very similar items, or actions, I tend to get confused.

jimboalee

The BIG lever pulls the mech against it's spring.
The small lever or trigger releases the ratchet so the spring shifts the mech.

The spring always pulls the chain onto a smaller sprocket or ring...

Simples.

Mr Pig

MajorMantra said:
Ride more and don't think too hard - hopefully muscle memory will then sort itself out.

That is the best advice you're going to get. It will become automatic and if it doesn't, you're just not riding enough ;0)

OP
OP
onlyhuman

onlyhuman

John the Monkey said:
You could think of the mech moving in the direction of the lever. (Rightwards for front mech, leftwards for rear).

John, that might just do it. That's what I am looking for anyway, a new way of thinking about it to get it into my head. Just riding and relying on muscle memory developing doesn't seem to work for me.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
redjedi said:
Rather than thinking about easier or harder gears, try and think about the cog size.

Both the big levers, push the chain onto a bigger cog.
Both the small levers flick the chain unto a smaller cog.

Now just remember that bigger at the back is easier, bigger at the front is harder.

This is how I do it too. Big lever = bigger cog

Top Bottom