How long does grease store without deterioration?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A garage tidy up has brought to light a few old tubes of unopened Finishline Teflon synthetic white grease and a large tub of pink grease (cant recall the name) of pink jelly like grease that somewhat resembles Swarfega in look and transparency.

I also have some wheels (cup/cone) serviced with Finishline Teflon immediately before storage in the clean dry garage. The wheels have been out of action for a few years.

In your view,
- is any of this grease still likely to be useable (it looks OK but I dont want to damage the hubs)?
- do I need to re-service the cup and cone bearings in the wheels or can I just use them, as they spin OK when I tested them by hand?

Thanks for opinions.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Grease goes "off"?
Hell, I've been using the same tub of Castrol something for at least 20-25 years, maybe nearer 30.
I reckon it'll last several generations!

Grease goes "off"?
No idea, thats why I asked. I did not know if there was any difference if the grease was marked up as 'fully synthetic' either. Not even sure what the non synthetic content might be. Grease is a mystery to me.
However your answer is helpful, many thanks.

I suppose your dilema will ultimately be which relative, friend or charity to leave your tub to? Tricky one.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I think the two potential issues are separation (if present the solid lube particles drop out of suspension leaving a think oil carrier and claggy caked solids) or the carrier evaporates, leaving it sticky and stodgy.

If it's neither of the above you should be fine, if it's separated it can be mixed up again and if it's dried out but you know what it was based on, you could potentially add more oil...

it's dried out but you know what it was based on, you could potentially add more oil...
Finishline seem a bit furtive about that... or did, maybe more info on recent tubes for all I know.

I once serviced bike hubs which must have contained something similar to the pink goop, possibly the same stuff. It was still running around in the hubs OK about 15 years after the bike had been built up at the factory (Raleigh Nottingham). Not a lot of it left in there, but what was there was seemingly still functioning and for all I know, they did not put much in there in the first place. I think that was one of the reasons I tried to find a similar pink goop at the time. Not sure how effective it still was, the wheels still turned well, rolling for ages with a hand spin.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Cycle bearings are so ridiculously lightly loaded compared to engines that the grease longevity fades into insignificance.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I'm still using a tub of grease that I got from the Engine shed I was first attatched to in 1976. There is only an inch or so in the bottom of the old sweet tin I asked the running foreman to fill up, but it will outlast me I think.

gbb

Legendary Member
I suppose if anyone was that fussy about the separation of constituents, then maybe place the tub in a bowl / pan of hot water, allow the lube to soften then mix up thoroughly.
But I might be over thinking it. As Slow-motion says, the load on cycle bearings is nothing compared to the heat and speed industrial or automotive bearings run at.

Top Bottom