Pressfit bearings came out without cups

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr. Cow

Über Member
My BB has started making noises and there is slop in the cranks/bearings so figured I would replace it.
I used the same extractor kit that I used several years ago which successfully extracted the cups as you hammered on the back of the bearings (if that makes sense).
This time however only the bearings came out and the cups have well and truly stayed in the frame!
Last time I used the recommended retaining compound, perhaps I used too much.
Is there any way of getting the cups out without damaging the frame? It is a PF30 BB. Would something like THIS work?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• PXL_20231021_130559992.jpg
    PXL_20231021_130559992.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 44

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's the correct tool for the job but for the amount of times you'll use it couldn't you make one from a length of steel or aluminium tube?

silva

Über Member
Out of curiosity I looked up "retaining compound cups bottom bracket" and selected a Parktool product RC-1 link.
NOTICE: When retaining compound or threadlocker is used on carbon fiber frames or components, adhesive primer such as Park Tool AP-1 must first be applied to all component, fastener and frame surfaces. Failure to do so could result in permanently bonded parts.
They narrow the notice to carbon fiber frames and recommend to NOT use it for threaded connections.
In the products instruction .pdf they also add generally not recommended for titanium.

So the story reads like glueing, but you need an initial painting alike primer to prevent anchoring too strong in surface irregularities.
In case CARBON only, if that is the case here, and no primer used, trying to force it out may force some frame surface material out too.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Out of curiosity I looked up "retaining compound cups bottom bracket" and selected a Parktool product RC-1 link.

They narrow the notice to carbon fiber frames and recommend to NOT use it for threaded connections.
In the products instruction .pdf they also add generally not recommended for titanium.

So the story reads like glueing, but you need an initial painting alike primer to prevent anchoring too strong in surface irregularities.
In case CARBON only, if that is the case here, and no primer used, trying to force it out may force some frame surface material out too.
All of which confirms that pressfit is the work of the devil. Best avoided if you can.
:evil:

Mike_P

Guru
Press fits are supplied in my experience as a complete unit to replace the existing throughout the bottom bracket. I resorted to using the handle of a hammer inserted in the bottom bracket and whacking the hammer head with a mallet a couple of times to clear the bottom bracket of the old sections still in it.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The Praxis PF replacement is essentially a system that swaps out the pressfit cups for a threaded/fixed assembly that then accepts replaceable bearings.

By 'glueing' in the PF cups you have effectively achieved the same upgrade and can now get the cheaper individual bearings from any reputable bearing supplier without paying the Shimano pr£mium. As long as the replacement bearings remain a satisfactory fit in the reused cups just continue with just bearing replacement as and when required 👍

OP
OP
Mr. Cow

Mr. Cow

Über Member
On a pressfit, the only way to remove the bearings is to hammer them out. This process deforms the nylon cups, and if you put new bearings in the now deformed cup I guess they won't fit properly.

Ordinarily the cups "should" come out as you're hammering away on the back of the bearing but this didn't happen this time. The cups are sacrificial.

A few years back I "upgraded" to a £200 Wheels Manufacturing all singing threaded metal bottom bracket that allowed the bearings to be replaced directly however it was popping, creaking and banging all over the place so I went back to the £20 nylon pressfit cups.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Perhaps be a little less rough when 'tapping' out the bearings? I would expect to get 3 or 4 uses minimum, even from a replaceable cup. Did this in my son's MTB, think it is a Race Face BB but full replacement was silly money (£60-80?) While new bearings were £10-15.

Top Bottom