Does anybody know about cheap compact cameras?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I just got one of these:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5597996.htm
If it's small you're after then they don't get much more compact, the build quality is great, and it has an impressively long zoom.
Like you, I'm not really interested in all the fancy features, I just set it on auto and press the button on top - results have been plenty good enough for me, can't fault it.
Splendid SM! I really like the un-poncy boxy look, and it's small too. It's definitely in the running. Thanks.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I've recently bought that very model after realising that the camera on my current smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S3) isn't as much of a camera replacement as my previous phone (Nokia N8). It's a great little camera - I took it to the RAF museum in Hendon, and got some great shots without flash in the relatively dark bomber hall.

The only caveats are practicality: the battery is small, so doesn't last a vast amount of time (around 200 photos). Spares are easily available and not that expensive - I paid £13 for a Hahnel from CPC, and £25 for an Innovision from a shop on Tottenham Court Road (you can get cheaper off eBay but I'd be concerned about the quality of cheap Li-ion batteries) - but they don't charge in-camera, so you'll have to find space for the charger if you need to carry that around - I have seen USB chargers, but only on eBay from China. Also, the memory is a microSD card, not a standard sized SD card like other cameras. This only causes issues if you want to put the card straight into a computer - you'll most likely need an adapter. Or, like me, connect the camera via USB, which will use the camera battery. But these are minor concerns, and are certainly not showstoppers.

Also, that camera's an older model, so is on clearance - you might find it hard to get hold of.

P.H

Über Member
For a good deal on canon, have a look at the Canon Outlet on Ebay. These are either now old stock or refurbished, with full manufacturers warranty, the couple I've seen have been new, just with the boxes open.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/canon-outlet

There's quite a choice at the moment, all of them will be decent pocket cameras, though there's always the trade off between image quality and zoom.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thank you very much for all your advice. It is much appreciated. After much agonising, I went for the Lumix DMC SZ7, a fraction under £90 on Amazon, a soft case on eBay and an 8GB memory card.
I won't become Don McCullin, but at least I might actually take a few photos.

Thanks.

Top Bottom