Does anybody still wear lycra when mountain biking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's all about "the look" nowadays but back in the 90s when people still raced XC it was commonplace to wear road kit, as seen in the picture below. Yes, that's me and yes, I've still got the Kona kit.You only see road kit off road in South Africa nowadays, I reckon.

Picture courtesy of Ian Donohoe. idonohoe.com is a great website, well worth a browse as Ian has some stunning pics on there.

machanical.jpg

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I wear 3/4s and a baggy top most of the time.

zizou

Veteran
Sometimes for a quick summer evening ride - the lycra is the MT500 or whatever its called from Endura so its a bit tougher than normal. For trail centre or anything that i'd wear knee pads for then baggies, the knee pads just look ridiculous with lycra!

Lycra is still very common places like Germany apart from amongst downhillers

Kajjal

Guru
I do MTB and road biking and wear lycra bibs for both. Baggy shorts just annoyed me too much especially on the road bike. Appart from that i wear whichever tops that suit the weather.

Wyvern

I visited Girona last summer, there is some great MTB to be done in the area as well as the more well know road routes. I have to say all the local MTBers wore as much lycra as the roadies and seemed keen on as much flouro kit as possible, they also looked incredibly fit and tanned. Must be a European thing.

screenman

Legendary Member
Lycra for me, the baggy look is so wrong even more so with leggings.

As I have written before, cycling was invented for lycra.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
"Its all about the look". :dance:

I must be 90 s man because I dont care how I look as long as its functional ^_^

That looks like perfectly good gear in the photo.

D

Deleted member 23692

People still Race XC, and they still wear lycra doing so

Top Bottom