Does anybody still wear lycra when mountain biking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
You must know Ian?
Must I?

Jimidh

Veteran
Yes - always wear bibs with baggies over if I'm just out playing but racing MTB oi serious CX days then wear road outfit as it's more comfortable for longer faster rides.

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
I went for my first ever MTB ride yesterday with a local group of new friends here in Andalucia...

And guest what? Everyone was wearing lycra...or 99% of them.. There was an Irish guy with us and he wasn't... But he was really happy to be able to speak English to someone during the ride..

12994452_10154773730174616_978980524973156909_n.jpg

Now I am looking for a MTB.. It was fun..!

Ciar

Veteran
Cycling shorts under baggies, be it whether i am commuting or on the MTB, i prefer the loose clothing over lycra but that's my preference.

Brightski

Chronos Racing Team
It's all about "the look" nowadays but back in the 90s when people still raced XC it was commonplace to wear road kit, as seen in the picture below. Yes, that's me and yes, I've still got the Kona kit.You only see road kit off road in South Africa nowadays, I reckon.

Picture courtesy of Ian Donohoe. idonohoe.com is a great website, well worth a browse as Ian has some stunning pics on there.

machanical.jpg
I wear road kit all be it old kit..

Siclo

Veteran
If there's a risk of big thorns I'll wear baggies over my lycra, but its mostly lycra...then again I walk the dog in lycra every morning and cut the lawn in it the other evening....the neighbours think I'm :wacko:

mustang1

Legendary Member
Yup, me.

I don't have baggies coz I don't mtb enough.

BUT now that you mention it, I think I bought some baggies but can't recall where I put them thanks for this thread. Now I'll go and find my shorts...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I usually wear baggies over bibshorts or liner shorts on MTB/CX rides.

In fact, I often do the same on warmer road rides, partly because the shorts in my lycra collection are getting threadbare.

clockworksimon

Über Member
Lycra for me for serious rides. Seems a bit ridiculous to wear baggy shorts over Lycra shorts. As a gesture to modern times I wear plain jerseys rather than replica team kit these days. That said I am in a minority amongst my old friends who do baggies and pads.

Binka

Über Member
Me! Can't be buying extra kit especially as I don't do much mtb these days. Still ride my 90s no suspension mtb as well so I guess I have the whole retro look going on.

Top Bottom