Does anyone cycle naked?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lordloveaduck

I can't just jump on my bike and go for a pootle all day like i did when i was young.
I need my
Rucksack
Bottles
Tubes+Pump
Phone+Mp3 Player
Garmin
Jacket
Arm warmers
Lights (just incase)
Allen Key + leavers
and money

Does anyone just mount up and go out and spit in the face of 'Murphys Law'. I can remember long ago being happy with fifthy pence in my pocket and just going off on my Chopper.
Is it just me? Am i over complicating things?

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Interesting question, when I 'leisure ride' I take a silly amount of gear but on the commute I take no tools or spares at all.

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from.... ah, who cares!

Sandra6

Veteran
If I'm not going far (under 15miles) I just take a bottle of water, although I've been known to even forget that.
I try to remember to take my phone and some cash, just in case.
You know if you went out without something it'd be the one ride were it was needed though don't you?!

It's perfectly healthy paranoia. It'll pass.
I went out yesterday with something to drink, my mobile, and a couple of pound coins in my old, useless puncture repair kit, in the saddlebag.
Had a blast, said hi to people and came back grinning like a maniac, despite being unfit, overweight and the unfashionable side of 40 to be wearing lycra shorts.
Life's Good!!

Octet

Veteran
I normally take a ten pound note, my door and bike lock key and a mobile phone.
I also take a CamelBak in a rucksack for water.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
When I read the title, I actually thought you mean like a newborn baby!

I understand what you mean now and for any distance, on my MTB or roadie, I will take either a rucksack with things in or put everything in the back of my jersey.
One thing I havent done yet though is ride my roadie in normal clothes. However, if I start to use it when commuting to college next year, then I will have to go in normal clothes. I couldnt bare the shame of arriving with lycra on!

compo

Veteran
I have panniers. The problem is that the more space you have the more you find to fill them with. As the OP said years ago we went out with very little. I used to have puncture outfit, tyre levers, screwdriver and a barbell spanner, wrapped in a scrap of T shirt and strapped under my saddle with an old toe clip strap. Now I carry enough kit to do a bike rebuild on the side of the road, enough clothing to outfit Burtons and enough food to feed half of Africa. I really would like to get back to minimilism but just lack the confidence. Two things I would never go out without though is my debit card and my bus pass.

Octet

Veteran
One thing I havent done yet though is ride my roadie in normal clothes. However, if I start to use it when commuting to college next year, then I will have to go in normal clothes. I couldnt bare the shame of arriving with lycra on!

You could always try a loose fitting cycle top and a pair of cycling shorts beneath baggy shorts to hide them?
That way you should get the best of both, then just change in the toilets etc.

OP
OP
lordloveaduck

lordloveaduck

Cycling is supposed to be about freedom and being independet (to me it is) my bikes are my horses and i trust and love them both, it's just getting to the point where i'm going to have to ask the Tour de France for one of there cars to follow me around.

I am going to lighten my load (try) and use my saddle bag and leave the ruck sack at home (try)
But what about all my junk, on the Hybrid i have a rack but that's my tesco and petshop bike. I got the roadie becuase i want to go further and faster (and look good).

I really am PARANOID!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I keep all the spare tubes,pump, tools etc permanently in the bag on the bike so I can just hop on and ride.Gives you the carefree feeling but its all there when needed. Even 10 miles is a long way to push a bike.

Top Bottom