Does anyone do any volunteering? Any recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
I retired a year ago (age 55) and am enjoying life very much. My background is in engineering / management and I have 2 grown up children (both happy and successful in their own very different ways).

I’m beginning to feel the need to do something useful on a regular basis, probably a few hours a week, and am thinking about some sort of volunteering work.

Being slightly selfish I would like to broaden my own horizons so don’t really want to do anything cycling related. Thinking mentoring youngsters / helping the less able...not really sure.

I don’t want to jump into something and then find it’s not for me, wasting everyone’s time and effort.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Working with youngsters? Find your local scout group they are always looking for leaders.

Landsurfer

Veteran
I retired a year ago (age 55) and am enjoying life very much. My background is in engineering / management and I have 2 grown up children (both happy and successful in their own very different ways).

I’m beginning to feel the need to do something useful on a regular basis, probably a few hours a week, and am thinking about some sort of volunteering work.

Being slightly selfish I would like to broaden my own horizons so don’t really want to do anything cycling related. Thinking mentoring youngsters / helping the less able...not really sure.

I don’t want to jump into something and then find it’s not for me, wasting everyone’s time and effort.

Any thoughts?

Cycling ? ........ just a thought ....... Lots of Cycling, lots of long distance .... Retired at 55 ..... hate you !!!!! ................................ ^_^

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
For volunteering, you'll probably need a CRB check, especially if working with children or the vulnerable.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
Cycling ? ........ just a thought ....... Lots of Cycling, lots of long distance .... Retired at 55 ..... hate you !!!!! ................................ ^_^

I’ve done more miles this year than ever before:okay: I’m a lucky Baby Boomer who had a great pension scheme!

Drago

Legendary Member
Depends where you are, but there's likely to be either a Lowland Rescue or Mountain Rescue team you could volunteer for, either as an operational member or a support member.

MarkF

Guru
I am not retiring till at least 60 but one thing I'd like to do is mentor those with learning disabilities, help them make friends, get out walk & cycle, cook well, ride a bike, get employment etc. I nearly did it when I sold my business 5 years ago but I think the wage was MW and the NHS offered me £20k+ to push things about. I still think about it, if money is not an issue then you'd most likely get a pile of pleasure from that.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
Depends where you are, but there's likely to be either a Lowland Rescue or Mountain Rescue team you could volunteer for, either as an operational member or a support member.

I live in Nottingham (in the City) and don’t have guaranteed access to a car, so whatever I do needs to be reasonably local. I’ll have a Google, thanks, but doubt there’s anything like that close enough to me.

Top Bottom