Does anyone do any volunteering? Any recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Woops! On reading over, I see you do not have access to a car.
I'll just leave up this suggestion for anyone else who might be interested.
My local hospital operates a Patient Transport Service to assist patients who might otherwise have difficulty getting into hospital for routine tests etc. but who are otherwise fairly fit.
A friend of mine used to assist as volunteer driver, he wasn't tied down to any particular schedule, just helped out when his normal job shifts permitted.
Perhaps such a scheme exists in your area?

Last edited:
OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
Some great ideas, thanks all.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Old thread revival time. :okay:

I went to my local hospital yesterday for a routine appointment. It was on the Maxfax, ENT & Urology department/ward. While there I had a look around the ward, reminiscing about my cancer op and recovery in 2007. While looking round I had a chat with a few bedridden patients. I remember when I was in there and the lack of interaction, especially for those who didn't get relatives visits. This gave me a thought about volunteering to maybe chat with patients who might like to talk to someone who's experienced what they are going through. Maybe not just chatting and stuff, but also handing out cups of tea/coffee etc. Do volunteers still take the tea urn around wards, or is it a nursing auxiliary job these days? Anyway, I need to do something constructive, instead of idling away my spare time. Do any of you know how I could approach this? 🤔

tom73

Guru
Old thread revival time. :okay:

I went to my local hospital yesterday for a routine appointment. It was on the Maxfax, ENT & Urology department/ward. While there I had a look around the ward, reminiscing about my cancer op and recovery in 2007. While looking round I had a chat with a few bedridden patients. I remember when I was in there and the lack of interaction, especially for those who didn't get relatives visits. This gave me a thought about volunteering to maybe chat with patients who might like to talk to someone who's experienced what they are going through. Maybe not just chatting and stuff, but also handing out cups of tea/coffee etc. Do volunteers still take the tea urn around wards, or is it a nursing auxiliary job these days? Anyway, I need to do something constructive, instead of idling away my spare time. Do any of you know how I could approach this? 🤔

Most hospitals have volunteers doing a wide range of things. It all depends what options your local hospital has. They will have a volunteer coordinator who mangers the day to running of the volunteers.
Have a look here see what’s around https://volunteering.england.nhs.uk/volunteer
Your local hospital website will have some information about it too.
They will be a few checks to be done and depending what you want to do and what’s on offer. Some form of training.

Drago

Legendary Member
No no no, no no no no!

Today the parish council, tomorrow...well, who knows?

41284_image_0-74f60dcdcec1e638d0e54c613c7b03f9.jpg

All uphill

Still rolling along
Volunteering has been part of my life from my schooldays.

Soon after retiring I decided to give my time to get to understand groups of people I wouldn't usually meet.

So far I've worked in a homelessness project, a project with refugees and a local theatre. All have been rewarding.

The theatregoers were the most challenging!

Last edited:
A quick Google seems to show up plenty of volunteering websites. I found volunteer.scot useful, filter on location and the sort of thing you might be interested in. Through them I clicked on an entry for a well known Edinburgh heritage site and now spend my Friday mornings there showing visitors around. It is nothing like what I ever did in work and constantly keeps me on my toes dealing with the public and remembering 900 years of Scottish history.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Until next week, I work for a charity that supports blind and visually impaired people. I leave on the 18th but will continue to have contact as a volunteer.

I also donate platelets and plasma on a regular basis.

In May for the 3rd year, I’ll be volunteering as cycling marshal for the Moon Walk event in London.

I’m considering offering my time to the Reading Bike Kitchen in the very near future.

Most hospitals have volunteers doing a wide range of things. It all depends what options your local hospital has. They will have a volunteer coordinator who mangers the day to running of the volunteers.
Have a look here see what’s around https://volunteering.england.nhs.uk/volunteer
Your local hospital website will have some information about it too.
They will be a few checks to be done and depending what you want to do and what’s on offer. Some form of training.

I presume you will be reporting all the "interesting" stuff on here????

I mean - we won't tell anyone - you can trust us!

Drago

Legendary Member
I keep seeing this on my FB feed. May be of interest to folks. NHS Volunteer Responders

It's noble, but approach with caution. They get abused by the NHS for all sorts of stuff beyond their training and remit, and if it goes wrong guess who carries the can? Unless you have a strong character and are will to say "no" when appropriate it's not a good one.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It's noble, but approach with caution. They get abused by the NHS for all sorts of stuff beyond their training and remit, and if it goes wrong guess who carries the can? Unless you have a strong character and are will to say "no" when appropriate it's not a good one.

It's not for me, id probably headbutt someone who looked at me sideways, I'm doing quite enough.

Top Bottom