Does anyone else have this problem?- trousers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Get your mum to sew some leather patches on your trousers

Or try some trousers in a tougher material like twill?

Or get some cycling trousers with the reinforced butt area :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A bit of polyester in the mix can add durability. Try polycotton or wool polyester mix. I used to get about 2 years out of a pair of cargo style troosers with daily riding. I buy more now and rotate usage.
My longest-surviving cycling trousers are pure cotton, from Steve Redgrave's FiveG range. The last of which was bought about 2011 as Debenhams ran the range down. They're faded and some of the pockets have needed repair (mostly due to cycling with keys) but they're only just wearing out now.

The shortest lived trousers from Burton's that I mentioned before were polycotton.

So I think it's more about the weave and quality than fabric type.

Sandra6

Veteran
I have this problem as I cycle to work in my black work trousers. Fortunately I wear a long jacket so nobody can see my shiny arse!
I was very sad, however, when my favourite gap jeans finally gave up the ghost and had to go to denim heaven.
Levis do excellent cycle proof jeans -for men :cursing:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Wrong trousers.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I cycle in leggings, jeggings, jodhpurs: mine wear out at the bit where the saddle meets the inner legs.
It's because I'm fat :cry:

AnthonyC

Regular
I normally cycle standing on my pedals, hardly ever touching the saddle. Not to prevent my trousers wearing too quickly (it feels like a better full body workout), but it would probably help!

vickster

Legendary Member
I have this problem as I cycle to work in my black work trousers. Fortunately I wear a long jacket so nobody can see my shiny arse!
I was very sad, however, when my favourite gap jeans finally gave up the ghost and had to go to denim heaven.
Levis do excellent cycle proof jeans -for men :cursing:
You can get some cycling trousers for women

http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/for-the-rider/womens-bike-apparel/trousers-waterproofs.html

http://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/women's-shop/jeans-and-leggings/category/womens-jeans-and-leggings

And Levi's :smile:

https://www.evanscycles.com/levis-commuter-women-s-high-waist-skinny-jean-EV268145

Clanghead

I have the same problem (black work jeans) and have often thought about getting some cheap black shorts to wear over the jeans while on the bike - let the shorts take the strain and then just whip them off when I get to work - but I'd look even more of a tw*t then I already do...

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Rohan do some excellent casual/workwear trousers which hold up well to cycling. Used a couple of pairs of their Fusion range over last 4 years or so of my London cycle commuting career. Usually Euston to Chancery Lane and vv 5 days a week, with occasional forays to Victoria, on Brompton with Brooks saddle. No noticeable sheen or wear round the seat. Fabric is polyamide.

Currently in clearance in various size/colour combos:

http://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-bargain-travel-and-outdoor-clothing-in-the-souk-Fusions?ocode=03571539

Also at full price elsewhere on website,

Last edited:

Sandra6

Veteran

Thanks for the links. The sales girl in the levis shop told me they didn't do ladies - but I'll be honest, nice as they are, they're beyond my budget.

I have the same problem (black work jeans) and have often thought about getting some cheap black shorts to wear over the jeans while on the bike - let the shorts take the strain and then just whip them off when I get to work - but I'd look even more of a tw*t then I already do...
I have worn a stretchy short skirt over my trousers to protect my derriere then slipped it off in the ladies. I'm not sure you'd get away with it though.

Top Bottom