Does anyone have a dog-tracker device?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Nearly lost her again in the woods today, and it's getting harder and harder to get her back, as she gets deafer and deafer. I was thinking about getting a tracker, so I can see where she is at all times, and chase her down if necessary. I know such things exist, but I don't know one from another and TBH I'm dubious about the reviews I've found online. Does anyone use one, and if so, any conclusions/tips/recommendations?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Is she chipped and tagged?

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
We have a cat bell on our JRs collar so we can hear where she is. The sound travels well over the burrows and dunes.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Is she chipped and tagged?
She is. I'm fairly confident that if she did get lost someone would get in touch. But I think she'd get very upset, and she might even try to make her way home, over busy roads. I'd just like something like the google maps blue bip that tells you where you are, so I could know which way to go if she was off in the undergrowth.

Thanks for other ideas, but she goes too far for a bell. The day's probably coming when she'll have to go on a lead...but not yet. And we avoid the vet unless absolutely necessary - every time I go there it costs me a fortune.

vickster

Legendary Member
She is. I'm fairly confident that if she did get lost someone would get in touch. But I think she'd get very upset, and she might even try to make her way home, over busy roads. I'd just like something like the google maps blue bip that tells you where you are, so I could know which way to go if she was off in the undergrowth.

Thanks for other ideas, but she goes too far for a bell. The day's probably coming when she'll have to go on a lead...but not yet. And we avoid the vet unless absolutely necessary - every time I go there it costs me a fortune.
Just phone the vet and ask for advice. No need to go in surely

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
And what can the vet say? He needs a dog trainer even if the dog is old, it is the best option.
I don't need a dog trainer, thanks all the same. She's well trained. The only problem is that she also likes exploring the woods, and she's getting very deaf, so it's getting increasingly hard to call her back, and I think she also is not quite as sharp as she used to be - awareness of where I am and that sort of thing. Maybe a call to the vet is the best solution. I just thought someone round here might have experience that would be helpful.

vickster

Legendary Member
And what can the vet say? He needs a dog trainer even if the dog is old, it is the best option.
Offer advice about the types of trackers potentially. Perhaps the vet has knowledge of such things or has discussed similarly with other clients

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I’ve been using these for several years:

https://loc8tor.co.uk/

We have them for our two cats, and I am certain that Alfie’s life was saved as a result.
He didn’t come in for his breakfast one morning. Using the tracker I found him 1/4 mile from home, hiding in a field amongst some grass tussocks. His hind leg was badly broken - I think he’d gone there to die. Would never have found him without the tracker.
Long story short, he’s got Barry Sheene amount of pins and screws in his leg and it hasn’t slowed him down at all.

Range up to 1/2 mile in open country, down to 30 yds in buildings.
Added bonus - when the little buggers come home without their collar I can find them too.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Yes, I have one - Pod 2 with 3 batteries, which I bought as insurance for a new and rather neurotic dog, lest he ran away again. Works a treat, small, discreet.

I haven't used it for some time, as dog is now so much better & happier. If interested, do PM me

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My mate had one for his cat, he could see where it went from his phone. Turns out the cat was going to a nearby playpark and walking around in circles. I'm not sure how it works for finding the animal, but it works on GPS so I think should be fairly accurate.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Nearly lost her again in the woods today, and it's getting harder and harder to get her back, as she gets deafer and deafer. I was thinking about getting a tracker, so I can see where she is at all times, and chase her down if necessary. I know such things exist, but I don't know one from another and TBH I'm dubious about the reviews I've found online. Does anyone use one, and if so, any conclusions/tips/recommendations?
We use this company for our cat tracker. Seems to work well.
https://tractive.com/en/pd/gps-trac...D3SZ5mjpiS5-B0_XlHNSECRDUjrPtiEAaAmBIEALw_wcB

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A dog tracking device would've come in handy today. I spent about half an hour looking for someone's Whippet. Unusually for a whippet it doesn't run,just walks next to its owner. She'd let him (Percy his name:smile:) off his lead and he disappeared. He finally appeared. Some woman passing by said he'd been waiting on the owner's doorstep for half an hour.:headshake:

Top Bottom