Does anyone have a folder that isn't a brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Newstead Abbey - I live near(ish)

11080887_10153220942070987_2890123690404274913_o.jpg
Lovely bicycle. :-)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A "Bike in a Bag" branded Neobike which was a present from my brother. It's okay but doesn't get a lot of use. I sometimes contemplate doing some modifications but know that really they wouldn't improve it much.

DSC0000839.jpg

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
361318.jpeg

I bought two of these Carrera Intercity folders from Halfords. Bit on the heavy side and the fold isn't in the same league as a Brompton but about a third of the price and a nicer ride (in my opinion - having ridden both over some distance).
I would certainly recommend them - especially if Halfords are doing a 20% off promotion and an extra 10% off for being a British Cycling member.:okay:

Sustineo

Regular
I seem to be riding something I've never seen anyone else on (yet!)
It's a Trek F200 Navigator, Trek worked with Dahon to design the F series of folders, and it has many Dahon parts.
They only built 3 models then stopped for some reason, the F200, F400 and F600
Ive stripped mine of luggage rack, mudguards and chain protector and have it down to 9.6Kgs and a fold of 75cm long x 34cm wide x 70cm high.
Here is a picture before I started to lighten it.
058.JPG

Bodhbh

Guru
My first bike after deciding I needed take up cycling to get around/keep the podge off/etc was an Airnimal Joey. I sold it in under a year to make room for a tourer and MTB, but I wish I didn't as I only got £560 quid for it (it cost a grand + whatever mods I made).

Copy%20of%20DSCN1283_zpsvbtuwrhf.jpg

Now I have a, heavily modded, R20 and the OH has a Dahon D7.

SAM_0184_zpshal5yycz.jpg

Don't get me wrong - I'd love a Brommie - we'll be at Stratford over the weekend and looking forward to renting one - but I think most of the utility you gain from a folder, is simply from being able to fold it and the fold size doesn't matter *too* much. Just been able to break it in half gets it on unbooked trains, in the boot, can carry it into the pub, etc.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I had two folders a while back, a Brompton and this:

RIMG0006.jpg

Used this for riding around and riding to work for a few months, also used it for short tours and day rides in conjunction with trains. Also did my first time-trial on it. No longer have either bike, both sold on.

ikdo01

Über Member
Helios SL.jpg

Dahon Helios SL from 2005, originally bought for a daily 12 mile commute over the hill between Geneva and Meyrin - hence lightweight and multiple gears were a requirement.

Since 2007 its been used 2 to 3 times a week for a 7 mile round trip commute to London, so far without any cracked tubes/welds or seized hinges - though as it flexes something terrible when you stomp on the pedals I guess it's only a matter of time.

The original Rolf Accel wheels were replaced with heavier duty Kinetix Comp as the Rolfs' couldn't cope with UK roads and it took over a month to get a replacement spoke, but even with mudguards and the heavier wheels it still only weighs 20 lbs and I have yet to have a problem fitting it on SWT rush hour trains with its "30% bigger than a Brompton" folded size.

iamclaus

DLMFcLxl.jpg

I ride a 2008-ish? Breezer Zag8 that I picked up last year for CDN$100. From what I've been able to find out, Breezer licensed the design from Dahon. It's an aluminum frame, with Kinetix rims and brakes, Schwalbe Marathon tires, 8-speed cluster with SRAM derailleur. I replaced the original compact rear rack with a larger rack to properly carry panniers, put a small rack on the front with an extra support bar to hold another set of panniers. I have a SRAM 3-speed DualDrive rear hub on order to give the stock 8-speed a more usable low and high-end gearing. I'll also be replacing the gripshifter for the derailleur with a rapid-fire shifter instead. Things to add yet, a bracket to hold a repair kit underneath the main frame, lights on the front, new lock-on grips, stubby bar ends, and mounts for an additional bottle holder on the steering tube.

The hinge does have some play in it, unfortunately. The previous owner was a rather large woman, and the hinge clasp wasn't adjusted correctly when I bought the bike, so I imagine that the hinge was under stress perhaps for the duration that she rode it. I tried to extract the hinge pin to perhaps refurbish the holes, etc, but no luck there without resorting to more force than I was comfortable with. Instead, I've shimmed the two faces of the hinge with LEXAN plastic sheeting and ensure that the clamp is nice and tight. Doing so seems to have eliminated much of the play that was there.

The bike lives in my car, folded up, kept on the back seat. I live in a very rural area, too far from work to commute by bike plus the roads are unsafe to ride on. I do ride 15-20km daily after work, before heading home, though, with longer rides once a week.

I'm heading to Vancouver and Vancouver Island soon, intending to spend most of my three weeks there riding. Planning to put on several hundred km touring Vancouver Island with the bike packed with gear.

Sustineo

Regular
Thanks for the comprehensive write up, nice touring set up. I also have the hinge problem on my sons Ecosmo folder, never tried the LEXAN sheeting idea, will give it a go.

Salar

A fish out of water
jack.jpg

I've a Dawes Jack, mid range folder, quite a capable little machine, but the gearing is slightly too high for the hills, being only a six speed with a 52 tooth chainring.
I really need to change the chainring and use it more.

Top Bottom