Does anyone have a Prius?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Thats not quite accurate. They're not type approved for use towing with a tow bar. If you somehow contrived to make one and fit it but only attached a cycle carrier to it then you're in the clear.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've always had my 4x4s for the bikes so never looked into Prius bike kit, but would not decent roof bars and a bike carrier be an easy solution?

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
I'm getting this second hand - got other things I want to spend my money on than a car. Here are four I'm going to see on Friday. What do you think?

http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/859608117.htm?ca=19_s
I've always had my 4x4s for the bikes so never looked into Prius bike kit, but would not decent roof bars and a bike carrier be an easy solution?

Possibly - not sure I'd feel comfortable driving with bikes on the roof, though.

Drago

Legendary Member
Been doing it for decades off an on, including my current iron. Provided you're not daft enough to go under low height barriers etc it's safe as a brick built dwelling.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Thats not quite accurate. They're not type approved for use towing with a tow bar. If you somehow contrived to make one and fit it but only attached a cycle carrier to it then you're in the clear.
True, but it's not worth the effort. A towbar used for a cycle carrier looks exactly like a towbar used for one of Satan's Portakabins to the sort of officious geranium that'll give you grief about it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

An acquaintance did this.

I couldn't grasp why - until now.

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Just reserved my Prius. Pleased as punch. There was a lot more work to do than any other car I've ever bought - there aren't many second hand, they go very fast and there's a lot to take into consideration. Oldbloke mentioned that these cars need to be used otherwise the battery can die. I checked it up and it appears to be true. I'm glad for this tip - I have been known to leave the car for weeks without using it! I'll know to take the Prius out for a spin even when I'm cycle commuting every day. Thanks for all your comments.

Top Bottom