Does anyone have a Prius?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
What do you think of it? I'm very seriously considering getting one. Already test driven a couple and I'm very impressed with it. I've read lots of reviews, but it's always nice to get the opinion of owners. One question I'd like to ask straight away: how is it for carrying bikes? Is it possible to fit a bike carrier on it?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Try @Drago sure he had one

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

One of the things I find confusing about the Prius is the different models, level of finish and comfort: between Active, Dynamic, Lounge, coupled with 15'' or 17'' wheels, version II or version III, plug in or non plug in, with or without GPS etc etc ... but they all look the same in every way! I tried one out and it was really uncomfortable: hard suspension, thin seats - but another one (which was the same model and the same year) was lovely. The lady of the uncomfortable one said something about adjusting the seats to make them more or less firm, but I haven't seen how such an adjustment could be done. And what about the difference in suspension?
Bikes are so much simpler!

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

Mr R's father has one. I think he regrets his choice somewhat.

The fuel efficiency is nowhere near what was quoted and the interior build quality was poor, which is surprising for a Toyota. The room inside is not great either, if you're anything other than Japanese sized.

They also have a history of ventilation issues.

When we do any driving en famille we tend to use my car.

What is the age of the Prius? Is it the second generation or the third?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
No

Drago

Legendary Member
You'll be interrupting his tree-hugging hour if you did.
My missus has an old one - not 4wd enough for me.

It's a 2007 GenII, the 1500. It's got almost 145,000 miles with a full Toyota dealer history. It's devoid of character or interest, but despite its age and mileage drives like a new car. Not a single squeak, rattle or knock and still manages easily beyond 60mpg in normal driving - drive it like normal car and yo can get hat to under 40 with ease, but you quickly learn the hybrid technique and big MPGs come easy. It's never had anything except routine servicing and consumables such as brakes, tyres etc.

Toyota massively over engineered them to avoid the huge embarrassment that unreliability would bring and they rack up huge mileages. North of 400,000 miles is not uncommon, and there's a Prius taxi in Canada that's managed over a million and is still working for its living.

There's healthy trade in used spare parts from write offs etc, so when the big hybrid battery goes (typically between 200-250 thousand miles, more in our cooler climate)decent used ones can be had at fair prices. Wifeys is the top spec T-Spirit and its well equipped with JBL sounds, leather, all the toys, but the interior is styled a bit cheesy and looks cheap. However the finish is good and our is only just starting to show wear on the drivers seat

I'm a whisker under 6'4", over 18 stone and have a 52" chest and fit just fine front or rear. The boot isn't so good, with a big footprint but limited in height by the slopey hatch.

Find one that been cared for and you can buy with confidence. The American based PriusChat website is well worth a browse.

Last edited:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I had one for a year in about 2008 I think. Same seats as the Avensys so basically two armchairs in the front, very very comfortable. Did about 35k miles in it without a hitch - though a gentle rear ender in Edinburgh led to a £5k repair bill because the batteries were damaged. Averaged about 45 mpg IIRC, though I do have a heavy right foot.

The wife loved it because it was so comfortable.

I didn't cycle at the time so I didn't pay so much attention to the load space. A boot lid cycle carrier might be awkward because of the split screen but a towbar or roof mounted one should be fine.

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

I didn't cycle at the time so I didn't pay so much attention to the load space. A boot lid cycle carrier might be awkward because of the split screen but a towbar or roof mounted one should be fine.

We presently have a Corolla, and when we saw the price of getting a towbar fitted we decided not to bother with the towbar mounted bicycle carrier. Toyota towbars are very expensive.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I looked into one before I bought my Clio. They're not got type approval for a towbar in the EU, so it's either the roof or the bootlid, or Monoflex/Westfalia do a rack akin to those towbar racks where the bikes hang. It's expensive, though.

Top Bottom