Does anyone have any knowledge of either of these tents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello, I'm looking at a big tent to slepp 5 of us (2 adults, 3 kids) for summer camping holidays where we'll drive to the campsite so weight and packed size aren't too much of an issue. Has anyone used or know anyone who has used either of the following tents?

Siberian Red 104 tent

8 Man (3+1 Section) Alpine Gold Camping

I've seen the alpine one cheaper on several places on ebay bt ths page should remain the same. I a't find a manufacterers webste or spec though. I'm after something big basically. I camped out with the kids this week in the heavy rain andthey loved it so I've no worries there.

Maz

Guru
I asked about tents in this forum a few weeks back. Amongst the good reliable brands were Vango and Outwell (?).

I now have a Vango (my pet name for it is Vincent).

grhm

Veteran
You'll have to be carefull about which campsites you go to with those tents.
Some sites will charge you for two pitches, because the tents have bedrooms that stick out and make the tent a T or X shape, and hence the tents takes a huge ammount of space.

You may find a more square shaped tent will offer the same amount of interior space without taking up so much of the field.

I've no idea about those tents is particular though :biggrin: ... sorry. But I do have a Vango and would recommend the Vango tents.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Agree with grhm about pitch sizes.

Vango very good and the Outwells are good vhm too.

We have a Khyam classic sleeping 8, it's pretty enormous and very heavy, also takes a while to get it fully sorted, but after 2 weeks in Switzerland with Thunderstorms every night I can vouch for its storm-proofness.

Also, carefully check the sleeping space, especially if you're thinking of using blow-up 'air-bed' mattresses, our Khyam sleeps 8 on mats etc but only 6 with say Coleman airbeds, they also lift you high enough off the ground such that you may then touch the walls.

Finally, the weight and pack sixze is important, it's amazing how much space a big tent takes-up in the largest of car boots.... you may also need space at home to dry it out too.

classic33

Leg End Member
Second the Vango tents. But given that its two adults & three kids along with the possibility of paying for two pitches have you considered two tents.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I have a vango oregon tbs 600 which has 2 bedroom compartments. 1 will take a double airbed and the other 3 singles. We use this for stays up to 7 days and for longer we have a outwell hartford XXL which is a bit of a whopper and is important that you quote the size of this tent at the time of booking. Usually we summer holiday in this in France which is less of a problem size wise as the pitches are bigger.

I would avoid the cheaper makes and go for one of the more recognised manufacturers Vango, Outwell, Kyham, Coleman as like bikes you pay for what you get. Whatever you do avoid Stormproof and the seller tentastic on ebay !!!!! Have a look at www.ukcampsite.co.uk for lots of useful info.

4F

Maz said:
I asked about tents in this forum a few weeks back. Amongst the good reliable brands were Vango and Outwell (?).

I now have a Vango (my pet name for it is Vincent).

Which one did you go for maz ?

4F

Fab Foodie said:
Finally, the weight and pack sixze is important, it's amazing how much space a big tent takes-up in the largest of car boots.... you may also need space at home to dry it out too.

LOL first the tent, then the car trailer :tongue:

Maz

Guru
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Which one did you go for maz ?
Venture 500. It claims to be 5-berth, but that's pushing it a bit.

Fab Foodie

ivancarlos said:
Vango used to be much better than Outwhatever 20 years ago

I would say that is still true, but outwell make some OK kit for little money, ideal for many fair-weather family campers. Personally I'd pay the extra for Vango, but then maybe I am fortunate enough to be able to make that choice.

Fact is that family tents are good value and good quality these days.
16 years ago I bought a Vau-De MK3 ( small 3 -man tent approx £240), they're the same price today as they were then.... but bigtents have become very cheap in the meantime.

OP
OP
G

Ghost Donkey

I've just read my original post and it looks like I've forgotten how to type :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice. I've already worked out the size limit for it to fit in the garden to dry out if we pack up in the wet. I'd like a central room so the kids can play when we are getting things ready. A separate porch would be good for getting wellies and/or wet clothes off and keeping the main room nice as well as for cooking in in bad weather.

Some of the campsites I've looked at offer two rates to cover large or family tents but it's still reasonable. I may go for the coleman cypress 8 I saw recommended on t'other forum which was brought up in a search. It's been sold off cheap in many places but most are now out of stock. I also like the look of another coleman which is a tunnel tent. I think I'll be spending more than I had initially thought I might be able to get away with but it's worth it if it means everybody enjoys camping more.

Cheers all :sad:

Fab Foodie

Ghost Donkey said:
I've just read my original post and it looks like I've forgotten how to type :rolleyes:

I think I'll be spending more than I had initially thought I might be able to get away with but it's worth it if it means everybody enjoys camping more.
Cheers all :sad:

Agreed.

During one of the Swis Thunderstorms we accomodated 2 adults and 7 kids in the central space and in relative comfort playing games and chatting. It's then you realise that the money was well spent.

yoyo

We have an Outwell 5man tent which has stood up to Swiss thunderstorms a treat too. It occupies a rectangular space and has two bedrooms, a main room and an optional porch. We have only used it in Switzerland and have not had problems with the size of pitches.

Mortiroloboy

yoyo said:
We have an Outwell 5man tent which has stood up to Swiss thunderstorms a treat too. It occupies a rectangular space and has two bedrooms, a main room and an optional porch. We have only used it in Switzerland and have not had problems with the size of pitches.

I thought your post was rather neutral:becool:

Top Bottom