Does anyone have one of these B'Twin's?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cal44

Hi,

I ride a hybrid for training rides of about 30ish miles when I go out...mostly been 20 miles night riding recently to keep the fitness up. A friend of mine recently moved to a Cannondale Synapse and hasn't looked back and loves the lightness of it versus his old hybrid and higher gearing etc.

The bike I currently have is a Forme Peaktrail with front suspension etc for reference and when I'm out on it I can usually average around 15 -16mph depending on the route.

I have been toying with the idea as I'm finding it hard to keep up with my mate these days largely down to the fact that my bike physically cant go as fast as his unless my legs are creating a whirlwind below me.

Having had a look around at my options this looks like a good value for money option... https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-720-af-road-bike-ultegra-id_8331274.html

Does anyone else have one or know anything about how good the wheels are etc? I want a road bike that is comfortable for longer rides as I am not an elite rider and do not wish to be...just want something a little more relaxed than an all out racer for training runs and different charity rides that we get involved with each year.

Cheers!

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/btwin-ultra-720-af.208276/

But there are plenty of great road bikes that cost way less than £1000. You don't need a CF ultegra to keep up with a CF ultegra. An alloy Synapse (for example) would cost half that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cal44

Cal44

Thanks Spiderweb, that's definitely a website to save in the favourites!

Jef, I see your point, just seemed like the B'Twin is good value for money versus other bikes that I have looked around at. I also prefer the fact that it is an alloy bike. Would make me less worried about taking it out in the rain.....although those Formes on the website Spiderweb has pointed me in the direction of are very tempting as my current Forme has been a great bike that I have had many happy miles on and I tend to buy with my heart sometimes....

I also prefer the fact that it is an alloy bike.
Ah, I misunderstood. I just assumed it was CF as B'twins are so cheap.

Yes, decathlon bikes are good value. The cheaper ones are too.

But the most important - as I think you realise - is to love it. A bargain that makes you sad is not as good value as an 'overpriced' bike that makes you smile, assuming you can afford it.

I would ignore the advice to wait until September. Missing 6 months of the best cycling weather to save a few pounds? No, buy it now, and enjoy it enough to justify the price.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Surely the advantage of Carbon Fibre is it is not affected by rain unlike steel/aluminium which can corrode (although a lot of owners seem to think they'll melt)

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd wait till September thats when all the big discounts start and get an alloy synapse, I got a nice one with Tiagra for £600, three years ago and I've put on some better wheels and its a lovely bike.It would be even better if it didnt have that bottom bracket.
And in the meantime, you'll get really fit riding through the summer on the hybrid trying to keep up with your friends on their roadbikes

No need to wait until September, there are dozens of bargains out there already on older models...e.g. Paulscycles

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p6990/GIANT-DEFY-1-2016

105 11 speed, last years model, 30% off, much better looking than the B'TWIN IMO, not to mention £400 cheaper

Last edited:
Yes.

IMG_3033.JPG

It's a fantastic bike. Seriously good VFM as well.

S-Express

Yes.

View attachment 338284

It's a fantastic bike. Seriously good VFM as well.

Congrats on winning the Tour de France..

OP
OP
Cal44

Cal44

Surely the advantage of Carbon Fibre is it is not affected by rain unlike steel/aluminium which can corrode (although a lot of owners seem to think they'll melt)

If I'm honest I think I've been guilty of this coupled with the fact that CF bikes are usually more expensive...or at least I thought they were until some of the posts above.

It seems to me that no matter what bikes we all buy we all love them for their own reasons and no one seems to regret having bought any particular make and model. So in a way I'm hoping that whatever I eventually choose I'll be happy none the less!

OP
OP
Cal44

Cal44

Racing roadkill....meant to ask, have you had any noticeable issues with where the rear brakes are placed on the B'twin?

Racing roadkill....meant to ask, have you had any noticeable issues with where the rear brakes are placed on the B'twin?
Not at all. They are opened up with a cam on the cable on the handlebars, I've fitted a couple of sets of new pads with no issues, and they don't get in the way when doing a wheel swap either.

Top Bottom