Does anyone keep bees?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gromit

Über Member
[FONT=&quot]I have just started a beekeeping course and yesterday evening got my first look inside a hive and it's fascinating. The bees were very nice, the smell of honey from the hive was just divine.

I think I'm well and truly hooked, they are amazing creatures. So out of interest who on the forum keeps bees? Or works in the beekeeping industry?

I would love to be employed in the industry; any advice? ;)
[/FONT]

mr Mag00

rising member
i would love to , do keep us up to date on your progress, well me at least

Globalti

Legendary Member
They are indeed fascinating creatures. My closest encounter was when I rescued one of their cousins, a cold and tired bumble bee, by giving it some sugar syrup in a teaspoon.

Unfortunately I think your post is going to receive some comedy replies!

yello

I'm intending to, in maybe a year's time. My neighbour does as do a couple of my cycling friends, so I have plenty of advice to draw on when the time comes.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Farming Today's producers have started keeping bees too - if listening to the programme live isn't possible, you can listen again on the website, or subscribe to their podcast.

The bees aren't on every episode, but there are fairly frequent updates on how things are going.

02GF74

Über Member
It is worth while doing, you get a real buzz out of it.

My uncle keeps them. He has a bird bath with a towel to soak up the water for the bees to have a little drink.

bonj2

I read an article in the paper that thefts of bee hives and bees are on the rise, as the amount of bees in the UK is declining and their value is going up. (spiralling effect).
So just a word of caution,gromit - to make sure you've got security.

tyred

Legendary Member
An elderly neighbour of mine did. Truely fascinating and I wouldn't mind giving it a go at some point in the future.

Bman

Guru
I saw a documentary a few weeks ago about the decline of the worlds honey bee population. It was intriguing, but also concerning. They cant find out what is causing it.

I wouldn’t want to keep stinging insects myself. But anyone who does gets a thumbs up from me. :smile:

Wasps on the other hand... :biggrin:

We have bees living under the shiplap at the end of our cottage, I don’t know if that can be called keeping them.

They’ve been there for about 5 years; they don’t appear to do any damage.

They’ve swarmed twice in that time; does anybody know if that is that about right or if they should be swarming more?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Gromit, you could do worse than get in touch with my colleagues in the National Bee Unit. Selwyn knows every beekeeper in the country, so could put you in touch with someone local who could teach you everything you want to know (if you have the time - look at contacts on the linked pages).

They also run practical courses from time to time.

Globalti

Legendary Member
ArDee said:
We have bees living under the shiplap at the end of our cottage, I don’t know if that can be called keeping them.

They’ve been there for about 5 years; they don’t appear to do any damage.

They’ve swarmed twice in that time; does anybody know if that is that about right or if they should be swarming more?

Masonry bees. They are actually eating your house.

Top Bottom