Does Anyone Know a Friendly/Helpful Policeman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
beancounter

beancounter

User3143 said:
Do you have any proof of what happened?

No, I didn't see it myself, but someone did, because they left a note on my windscreen giving me car make and reg number.

I'd just like to ask the owner if they "remember" hitting my car on their way out.

bc

OP
OP
beancounter

beancounter

User3143 said:
;) You think they will own up to it?

No, I don't suppose so. But at least I'll know where they live (and they'll know I know).

bc

OP
OP
beancounter

beancounter

User3143 said:
Charles Bronson..watch out?!;);) How will they know that you know...you gonna go round there? I think you are being a tad naive, if they have driven off without leaving their details, you really think that they will own up if you go around to their house? Depending on how much damage was done of course to yours and their car.

If it was only a minor knock then I doubt you will be able to do anything, then of course you have the problem of proving that the damage to their car ( if any) was caused by them hitting your car.

Lee, I think it's you that's being naive, but maybe we can leave it there if you don't mind?

cheers

bc

classic33

Leg End Member
As has already been said, get in touch with the DVLC in Swansea. Explain why you require the information & your intentions once you have the information.
You will be sent a form to fill in, stating why you need the information & your intentions. Sign it, return it & they will decide if they can release the information.

Other than your stuck for a legal avenue to follow in order to get the information.

Question: How do you know it wasn't the person who left the note that caused the damage. If you have the registration try the vehicle check on the RAC website, then put that information through vehiclelicence.co.uk & see if it matchs what you have. Two vehicles scraping against each other will normally leave traces behind.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Dave5N said:
Isn't it illegal to ask a copper to abuse his/her position like that?
Yes, and a cop giving you the details from the computer in these circumstances will face criminal charges and potentially imprisonment.

And to be an accessory to assault?
If bc does go round and "make sure he knows I know" , then a simple audit will show who last checked the guy's number. Data protection issues are taken very seriously. It is so closely monitored that if necessary every keystroke from a given terminal can be backtracked.

In fact, you're on dodgy ground all round.
Yep. Sort it properly or leave it alone.

We can be friendly and helpful. Not all our punters are though.

Top Bottom