Does anyone know a relaxing (flat!) 30/40 mile route near crawley are?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

One little duck

Hi everyone!

I am working in sunny Crawley next week and would be grateful if anyone could let me know of a nice steady (flattish) route around the area or nearby.

Gearing is great for flat but I'm not fit enough for hills yet!!

Any suggestions gratefully received...

siadwell

Guru
I'm familiar with the area south-west of Reigate and there are some nice roads and scenery around. The following route (about 40 miles from the western 'burbs of Crawley) will give you views of the Surrey Hills (especially Leith Hill) and the North Downs, without having to climb up them. The route is undulating rather than hilly.

Head west from Crawley to Rusper, then to Clark's Green where you can join the A24 dual carriageway northbound for a few hundred metres before heading west again on the B2126. Turn south on to Weare Street which is a lovely quiet singletrack road. At the end, cross over the A29 and keep heading west until you hit Horsham Road, then head north up to Forest Green. Turn east back onto the B2126, doing a dogleg left then right to cross the A29 again and keep going until you are covering part of the route you were on earlier. Cross straight over the A24 and turn left then in Capel village turn right by the petrol station into Vicarage Lane, heading north and east to Newdigate. Here you can turn left and llft again onto Henfold Lane past Holmwood Common. At the top of the rise turn into right Red Lane. Part way along there is a left turn into Roothill Lane that takes you north on a lovely back road into Brockham. When you reach the village green, turn left and cross the River Mole, then right into Kiln Lane. Join Old Reigate Road then after Station Road turn right into The Street in Betchworth. Just after The Dolphin pub, turn left into Wonham Lane, past the deer and the mill. Take the right turn at the foot of the short steep hill and head south down Flanchford Road, turning right at the junction to continue on this road. You are now on part of last year's final Tour of Britain stage! If you turn left into Church Road you pass a moated farmhouse and into Leigh (where there's a local museum in an old red phone box by the church). Left onto Smalls Hill Road will take you up a long drag to Norwood Hill. Down again through Charlwood onto Ifield Road and you're on your way back to the outskirts of Crawley.

Hi everyone!

I am working in sunny Crawley next week and would be grateful if anyone could let me know of a nice steady (flattish) route around the area or nearby.

Gearing is great for flat but I'm not fit enough for hills yet!!

Any suggestions gratefully received...
I assume you are referring to the West Sussex town of Crawley (Fun Town of the South)..LOL. Siadwells route is a good Starter. Whatever route you use out of Crawley, there are some short sharp Hills to challenge you a little.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Povey Cross, Charlwood, South to Ifield, climb into Rusper, Newdigate, Leigh, Parkgate, Flanchford rd, Slipshatch, towards Dovers Grn, Lonesome Ln (love it going South), Meath Grn> Crawley.

Alternative is to head East... faily nice and rolling if not flat - head for Edenbridge, via Newchapel, maybe? Lots of nice country roads in that area.

OP
OP
O

One little duck

Many thanks to all - I really appreciate your input...

On the QT - my missus, son and I have set up a cycle run for Thyroid UK from Clacton to Norwich to Cambridge to Clacton over the Midsummer Fri to Sun - we are the "three little ducks!!" (the ride is 222 miles - we thought it was witty!).

Many moons ago I was a keen cyclist, so was looking forward to a decent length ride - and many thanks again to siadwell, Ticktockmy and Sittingduck...

Maybe next year you could join us!?!?!?

Top Bottom