Does anyone know an offroad (mainly) route from North Tyneside to Hexham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In the past I used to ride to Hexham on my road bike from North Tyneside but, now I mainly ride a gravel bike. I miss riding to Hexham but I cannot find a route there mainly offroad. I've tried planning a route along the River Tyne but can only get as far as Prudhoe before it mainly turns to road. Any ideas?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Cycle.travel is pretty good at finding the quietest routes, but even THIS ROUTE is 46% road, though only 1% of it is on major roads.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
In the past I used to ride to Hexham on my road bike from North Tyneside but, now I mainly ride a gravel bike. I miss riding to Hexham but I cannot find a route there mainly offroad. I've tried planning a route along the River Tyne but can only get as far as Prudhoe before it mainly turns to road. Any ideas?

I suspect there isn't one.

As you know, the few miles from Prudhoe on minor roads on the north side is quite agreeable cycling, not least because the majority of motor traffic is on the nearby A69.

Some caution needed on the downhill approach to Corbridge, although some attempts have been made to make it more cycling friendly with road markings.

Last time I was there, the marked vehicle/cycle lanes had been redrawn again, which is another reason to take it steady at least until you've been through once to check the layout.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Cycle.travel is pretty good at finding the quietest routes, but even THIS ROUTE is 46% road, though only 1% of it is on major roads.
which is NCN72, so if there is an alternative with less road, then sustrans / NCN would have probably found it (not withstanding the sometime vague nature of NCN routing.

Top Bottom