Does anyone know anything about harps?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
MrsR has requested a harp for her birthday. She's a competent musician (piano, guitar, accordion) but knows nothing about harps other than she'd like a "table-top" size one.

It will be used solely for pleasure - it's very unlikely that she'll play to an audience.

A brief Google tells me that harps come in numerous sizes, with different numbers of strings, with or without pedals etc. etc., and that they vary in price from £25 to £000's

So, where's a good place to start? What's the minimum spend to get something worth having?

Any information greatly received!

Old jon

Guru
Oh well, off we go. Some years ago my partner bought a nineteen string Stoney End, made in the USA, lever harp. A few months later she bought a 27 string version by the same maker.
There is a story attached to the first purchase. She went upstairs in the shop, called for me to go up and when I got there she asked 'Why does this £300 harp sound so much worse than that one at £110?' I explained, through the laughter, that £300 was the purchase price, and £110 was the ten percent deposit.
The larger harp was bought for an increased bass range and the small harp was rarely used afterwards. Both are for sale, message me if you are interested.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
122407-28634.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Someone once told me a grand piano is effectively a large horizontal harp with hammers to hit the strings. It makes sense to me when you look at the shape, but it could be total bollox.

Old jon

Guru
Someone once told me a grand piano is effectively a large horizontal harp with hammers to hit the strings. It makes sense to me when you look at the shape, but it could be total bollox.

Mabsant, in Welsh, can almost be translated as naked piano. Of course, almost leaves a lot of latitude, I await a welsh speaker to discuss how much latitude. Hammers and harps are not compatible, you may need a dulcimer for that.

AndyRM

XOXO
There's no such thing as a "table top" sized harp. The closest you'd get would be a clarsach which is what I'd suggest going for if this is just for fun.

You can indeed spend many, many pounds on a full sized instrument, especially if you buy new and for you. Lyon and Healy are the best in the business, but you'll get no change out of around £25k.

I could vaguely ramble on, but my sister is the best person to speak to as she's a professional harpist. I will give her a call this morning and let you know what she recommends.

Top Bottom