Does anyone know anything about tablet computers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I only ask because I thought that I would get my husband one for his upcoming birthday. He says that he would like one as its boring being on dialysis for 5 hours, 3 times a week with chuff all to do. He does have a kindle (older one) so reads a lot but says that he would quite like a tablet to play on FB, games, general surfing etc. The dialysis unit has free Wi-fi and it would probably cheer him up no end.

I have been looking at a Versus Touchtab 7v dual core tablet - 16gb which seems ok but I really don't have a clue about these things. I am on a budget and can't really go over £100 for one for him so an iPad or a more expensive Android jobby is out of the question.

Can anyone offer an opinion or advice at all? I am a total luddite really.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Not that I read it but I saw an advert in The Times today whereby if you sign up for their online paper @ £4/week you get a Nexus 7 for £50, now I realise that adds up to a fair bit of dosh but if he wants reading matter and a tablet for not a lot of outlay it might be worth a punt.

The Times isn't brilliant and I've no idea what a Nexus 7 is like mind, apart from that...

DWiggy

Über Member
Nexus 7 16gig for value although its a 7" screen and its quite powerful and the size is more than usable, they go for a £150 (for the extra £50 you get a lot more for you money)

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

Might be worth going here ... :whistle:

Ah, thank you. As I said, a bit of a luddite and I didn't think of looking in the computery bit of the forum.

Not that I read it but I saw an advert in The Times today whereby if you sign up for their online paper @ £4/week you get a Nexus 7 for £50, now I realise that adds up to a fair bit of dosh but if he wants reading matter and a tablet for not a lot of outlay it might be worth a punt.

The Times isn't brilliant and I've no idea what a Nexus 7 is like mind, apart from that...

We did give this a thought but at £4 a week, the additional £208 for the Times does seem a lot of money, even though its spread out. OH said that for that he would have to not renew his subscription of CW and I can't see that happening any time soon. But a great suggestion though.

We ideally could do with 2 of them, one each. My MacBook has suddenly given up the ghost and we are waiting for our tame IT chap to come back of his holibobs for him to have a look at it. I think that it needs a new battery and dread to think of the cost. I would like a tablet for my works diary and for sitting about in various cafes inbetween jobs, sometimes a get a big gap but not long enough to make it worth going home or to the gym. Perfect gap for a quick cuppa and a browse though.

Recently launched, if slightly above budget is the HP Slate 7:

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/home.html

stu9000

I recommend the nexus 7. £150 is a tad over your budget but in spending less you may buy something that wont do the job.

Cheaper units have less good screens and processors and will be frustrating to read, type or browse the net.

The Nexus gives you a great screen, all day battery life, nice size and weight and good processor.

Get a case that flips back on itself as a stand so he can watch YouTube documentaries all day and all night.
blurex-nexus-front.jpg

You could also look at the amazon kindle fire which has a similar spec but pushes you to buy their books and services. Or a galaxy tab, or an apple mini ipad if you love that brand. Or a chromebook laptop for £200.

But I think a nexus is a good choice for your needs,

I've owned a nexus for a year and use it daily for work and nightly for web browsing. I work in IT and see a lot of kit. For this budget you can't go wrong.

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

Hubby got a tablet from one of our local electrical stores. He carted me twice around the city first though! Blimey is this what you men go through clothes shopping with wives who like clothes? If so, you have my sympathy. It was so boring.
He now has a Scroll Excel III 7" tablet. Hubby is very chuffed with it, it does everything that he needs it to do except that it won't download 'bubble witch saga'! :laugh: Ho flipping hum! I see bubbles in my sleep when he's on the desktop PC playing that thing!

deadpool7

I regularly use a Nexus 7 and love it. Had a 1st generation iPad that continually crashed on me so I switched to the Nexus and have no complaints. Works great for surfing cyclechat ;)

Edit: I guess should have read all the posts first ;) Hope he enjoys his tablet!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Got a works ipad, but getting a Samsung tab 2 7" for us, as it was discounted when I got my new S3 phone. Will be a doddle to use as we have all got Android phones and will be able to share a few apps we have paid for.

Another vote for the nexus, I love it, carry it in my bag all day and can use my phone as a 'hot spot' anywhere and connect my nexus to the internet. I love gadgets.

Top Bottom