Does anyone know anything about this bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scrunch

Bought this over 23 years ago, from a wholesaler in Ilkeston at the time there where three frames that they had for sale, I had both wheels made with double butted stainless steel spokes, the rear being built on a hub break.
Memory is a bit cloudy now but I believe it was called a mudplugger the idea being that mud did not gather round the rear brake .
I have ridden it quite a lot when I was younger it hasn't been used for 10 years I wondered if anyone had any recollection about the frame or the builder.

Just thought I should add the name doesn't come from the front mudguard this was bought a long time after i had the bike.

Attachments

• edit.jpg
    edit.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 217
  • SAM_3586.JPG
    SAM_3586.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 208
  • SAM_3587.JPG
    SAM_3587.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:eek:Someone gwan tief half de frame.

OP
OP
S

scrunch

Not photoshopped at all I can assure you, Not titanium wish it was, I have ridden the bike well over 2000 miles over some rough ground as well and hasnt collapsed yet and I am no small fry really more interested in the reason it was built and hoped it would jog someones memory.

AndyRM

XOXO
It looks like an adventurous welder has had a shot at a BSO and removed the seat tube. Never seen anything like it to be honest!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Scrunch, you've got an odd one there... why would someone deliberately not triangulate the frame by taking out a compression tube like that... doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'd guess they reckoned the welds would hold and offer a degree of suspension from the flexibility of steel. To the extent that the OP has ridden it without it tearing itself apart seems to be proof that it worked. So far....

Is the thing that looks like a handle lower in the frame doing anything other than providing an anchor point for a cable? If not, why didn't they run it back along the down tube or chain stay? That puzzles me more than the absence of most of the seat tube.

KneesUp

Guru
I'd guess they reckoned the welds would hold and offer a degree of suspension from the flexibility of steel. To the extent that the OP has ridden it without it tearing itself apart seems to be proof that it worked. So far....

Is the thing that looks like a handle lower in the frame doing anything other than providing an anchor point for a cable? If not, why didn't they run it back along the down tube or chain stay? That puzzles me more than the absence of most of the seat tube.
It's holding the front derallieur too.

It's a weird looking thing. But weird things happened back then.

Anyone remember the Slingshot?

9312216196_96fdc1bec2_n.jpg Slingshot Fold-Tech single-speed mountain bike by Arkku, on Flickr

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It's holding the front derallieur too.

It's a weird looking thing. But weird things happened back then.

Anyone remember the Slingshot?

9312216196_96fdc1bec2_n.jpg Slingshot Fold-Tech single-speed mountain bike by Arkku, on Flickr
Fair enough but wouldn't the down tube be a suitable place to locate the front mech? To me, it looks like they've unnecessarily taken out the seat tube only to unnecessarily put a bit of it back in.

Top Bottom