"Does anyone know how to fly a plane?"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
so long as Tom Jones is on the plane...

....taxi for one!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
If that chap hadn't been there the co-pilot would have been able to land it herself. It wasn't quite Airplane! style!

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
If that chap hadn't been there the co-pilot would have been able to land it herself. It wasn't quite Airplane! style!
How would you have felt, if you'd had been on the plane when that announcement was made though?

pplpilot

Guru
I have over 400 hours... Flying is easy, pull the stick back the houses get smaller, push it forward they get bigger. Simple. In all seriousness the bigger they are the easier to handle in flight, its getting them to the right place and on the ground, thats the hard bit...

F70100

Who, me ?
There's a thread about this over at the Pprune (Professional Pilots Rumour Forum).

"After they moved the pilot, I was asked by the first officer, 'are you a pilot,' which was quickly followed with 'what do you fly,'" said Gongol. "I knew she was in a serious situation and that question gave her five seconds to judge if I would be useful. I also had about five seconds to asses her, 'was she panicking, or was she OK to fly the aircraft?' We both finished our silent assessments, she made the right judgment and told me to close the door and have a seat."

Personally I find it a bit condescending that the volunteer pilot ( a USAF bomber pilot) felt the co-pilot had made "the right judgement" in accepting his offer of help. Doesn't bear thinking about what he would have done if he felt, based on a five second judgement, she wasn't ok to fly the aircraft. She flies it every day she goes to work FFS.

How would you have felt, if you'd had been on the plane when that announcement was made though?

It might have been wiser for the co-pilot to ask the cabin crew to consult the Passenger Information List to see if there were any airline staff travelling on rebate tickets; it wouldn't guarantee that the rebate passenger was a pilot but it would enable the cabin crew to make a discreet enquiry for assistance.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Flying is very safe - very few people come to harm in the air. It's the ground that's the dangerous bit :surrender:

Top Bottom