Does anyone know where I can find 630mm wheels for a Dawes Galaxy from the 70s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I am getting tired of looking. I can find tyres but not wheels.
Please can anyone in CC land advise. New or used just to get the old girl back on the road.
Asking for my neighbour who has no internet. They are looking for a cassette too. A five speed.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Saluki load on e bay via Parkers or Bankrupt bike parts in Birmingham who should be able to sort the cassette as well

I might have a set of wheels but i fear they might not be a matched pr

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

@Saluki load on e bay via Parkers or Bankrupt bike parts in Birmingham who should be able to sort the cassette as well

I might have a set of wheels but i fear they might not be a matched pr
I will ask if a matched pair are vital. He has broken spokes on rear and can’t get the cassette off. It won’t budge. It’s been to the LBS and they can’t get it off either.

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

Could it not be a freewheel if it's a 70's galaxy?
I don’t know. I will ask tomorrow. Neighbour refuses to have ‘that internet’.

si_c

Guru
Another thumbs up from me for Baldwins - but you need to make sure that you ask for the spacing to be set correctly - a lot of modern hubs will come with 130mm spacing, however I'm guessing that your neighbour's Dawes doesn't - it could be either 120mm or 126mm - so you need to check the spacing whomever you buy it from.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
27" rims aren't too hard to find NOS. Hubs don't care what size the rim is. Generally it's easier to change to 700c for the wider tyre choice - if the brakes will reach the extra 4mm.

Top Bottom