Does anyone run Campag on one bike and Shimano on another?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tony_s

I have chorus on my good bike, centaur double and centaur triple on my not so good bikes and shimano 8 speed on my commuter (105, dura ace, ultegra mix: ebay bargains!) and y'know, they're all brilliant. Yes, the chorus set up has the edge but then again it should.

gkerr4

i have new 08 centaur on my new summer bike - my first campag bike. My winter bike has tiagra / 105 mix on it.

i prefer the use of the campag as it feels more positive, but i have to confess that the shimano stuff is smoother shifting - hard to say whether it is quicker or slower but much quieter and just a little 'click' on the shifter does the job - where the campag is clunkier and more abrupt.

i do prefer the campag stuff it has to be said - it has a quality feel about it that you can't quite put your finger on - like how a good watch feels in the hand - a feeling of solidity.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I think a lot of the smoother shifting on Shimano STIs is down to the more direct cable run rather than anything in the shifters themselves. That's why I'm surprised that the new Dura Ace has gone to concealed cables. I run Campag and I think STI's are as ugly as sin, but Shimano sales have hardly suffered because of that.

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
I had a quick go on a Campag equipped bike at the club run. I'd say my STI's take less effort to change, but I preferred the feeling that I was actually changing gear (if that makes sense).

Coming to the classifieds soon.... 9 speed Shimano kit...

giant man

on one bike I have low end Shimano and another top end Campag, so it would be a little unfair of me to comment and not give more credit to Shimano, though i have to say my next bike will be Campag.

I've tried Campag, but only briefly so I'll limit my comments to the fact that it's different to Shimano and I'd only really say one was better than the other after a longer-term test.

But some people here are comparing low-end Shimano with high-end Campag or vice-versa, and you can't really do that I think : I have used different Shimano shifters - and there's considerable difference.

I changed Shimano 8sp Sora shifters to 9sp Ultegra shifters on the Winter bike at the end of last year.

Not because of the Sora thumblever, which I found perfectly reachable from the drops, despite the oft-repeated 'you can't change up on Sora from the drops'.

But because the Sora lever was so damn uncomfortable to hold. Alright with thick Winter gloves, but the web between fingers and thumb became really sore on lnger rides with thinner Summer mitts.

The 9sp Ultegra shifters are a much more comfortable ergonomic shape, and I think 105 9sp is the same shape.

I have 10sp Ultegra on my Summer bike and the shifters are a slightly different shape, which again is pretty comfortable. Again I think 10sp 105 is the same shape.

But the shift quality of 9sp Ultegra is nothing like that of 10sp.
That shifts snick-snick so quickly and easily by contrast.

9sp Ultegra is better than 8sp Sora, but not a huge lot better.
The 10sp is miles better.

02GF74

Über Member
haven't read ^^^^ but my 2p worth. stick to one make since it reduces the number of specail tools e.g. cassetter remover needed; also means you can swap part between bikes and know they are more likely to be compatible.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
chap in a local lbs who stocks both is of the opinion that there's a fag paper between comparable shimano/campag. there's lot to do to with (inverse) badge snobbery in his opinion, as far as the shimano/campag arguement goes.

Top Bottom