Does anyone still wear underwear under their padded clothes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
All 3000 miles last year I wore underwear, not sure why, just a habit and never had any problems.
This year I spent some Xmas money on some more expensive bib tights and shorts (£25-40 stuff) and have been rolling with the whole no underwear thing as recommended by everyone and have nothing but chaffing and saddle sores every single time.
It's getting to the point I don't fancy riding my bike as I know it'll be uncomfortable and thinking to switch back to wearing boxers.
Are there other things I should think about? Are there any other changes I can make?
I use Assos chamois cream and that seems to improve things a bit- but not perfect and not practical to use before the commute home (I get sore even after 10 miles such as this evening).

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
At the end of the day, do what works for you. I ride in boxers (sometimes briefs) with normal unpadded leisure shorts made from denim or lighter man made materials and rarely have any discomfort. I ride like this even on rides over 100 miles. All commonly accepted conventional wisdom suggests I should be in crippling agony but it just doesn't happen.

OP
OP
helston90

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
3 x Lidls shorts, 1 x Funkier Bib longs, 1 x Funkier shorts and 1 x Tenn bib shorts (the ones that were on sale last week). All of them padded.

Colin B

In don't wear undies under my padded as its what I've read on here monkey see monkey do and all that .So far padded is way better than not padded but its not fully ache free after I did 22 miles I was a bit sore , but less than when I did 8 in undies.

nazzurro19

i wear boxers and have done 40/50 miles with my padded shorts fine no issues

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I used to, but gave the 'commando' approach a go a few months back, made things more comfy for me on the road bike wearing bibs. Not used any chamois cream yet, nor felt the need. If on the hybrid or MTB then I tend to wear padded 'waist' shorts under a pair of normal shorts or canvas trousers.
My missus finds it all quite amusing, and has reminded me that if I fall off, to tell the attending first aid/paramedic that I am 'undy-free' to save some embarrassment..

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
A mountain bike friend told me I should shave my nads too , but when he asked weekly if I'd done it I kinda got suspicious that he just wanted to see if I'd do it .
Never listen to mountain bikes. [The moral]

EDIT: ooh bugger! You've added the word ''friend!''

EDIT 2 (Because it's still on my screen...)
MB.png

Last edited:

Bryony

Veteran
No undies for me I find it much more comfy. I went out on a unplanned bike ride last year without my padded shorts and my underwear chaffed me badly I had to cut the ride short and had a lot of stinging when I peed for days after :sad:

Padded shorts and no undies for me from now on!

albion

Guru
No padding for me.

I discovered that the saddle on my 531 ebay bargain was the best bit of the bike.
No problems in that region, even after 100 mile rides now. Its all about having a saddle that fits.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Have a look at the saddle. It may be that.

I do rides of 100+ miles in just the shorts, but I will only do around 20 miles or so in cheap ones (Lidl/Tenn=cheap).

Pearl Izumi and Shutt shorts are good.

Top Bottom