Does anyone use ‘Telegram’ ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
On the subject of online security, anyone use Tor as a web browser?

Are you sure about this? Did you register recently?
No and no. (Re Telegram)

I am sure I didn't use a phone to register (several years ago), but it is entirely possible I used a phone emulator on a laptop (which clearly does amount to the same thing). I concur that (without jumping through lots of hoops) an Android or iOS phone does appear to be required currently, at least for setup. Once it's setup, however, the phone is no longer necessary, which is definitely the case as I'm using it and it's not installed on a phone.
Nope, it just needs to be connected to a mobile number
('It' being Signal.)
Did you do something that Signal would consider non-standard to achieve that? Looking at the current Signal download page ( https://signal.org/download/ ) under 'Download for Windows' it says 'To use the Signal desktop app, Signal must first be installed on your phone.' Jolly good if that's not accurate, but they certainly do /want/ you to install it on a phone first, it would appear.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm reluctantly a member of a few of Whatsapp groups. Some of which I got added to and have figured out how to mute them and just ignore them.

I don't know what I'd use Telegram or Signal for if I did use them.

I do have a television, though.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Did you do something that Signal would consider non-standard to achieve that?

Not that I’m aware of, but I did join it in 2018

si_c

Guru
Tor can be useful when you want to access a (usually) US news website that rejects UK or European IP addreses.

Unfortunately it's very slow however and you can't pick your exit node. I use Tor infrequently, but I do also run an exit node.

A better solution for accessing content outside of the UK/EU/US/delete as applicable is to use a VPN, it does cost a little a month compared to Tor but worthwhile. My mobile is permanently connected to one for example.

D

Deleted member 1258

Unfortunately it's very slow however and you can't pick your exit node. I use Tor infrequently, but I do also run an exit node.

A better solution for accessing content outside of the UK/EU/US/delete as applicable is to use a VPN, it does cost a little a month compared to Tor but worthwhile. My mobile is permanently connected to one for example.

Which VPN?

si_c

Guru
Which VPN?

I use ExpressVPN, but Private Internet Access is also a good one to use. Neither of them keep logs of traffic so effectively anonymise all your usage.

To be honest for most people pretty much any reputable VPN is likely to suffice, some browsers such as Opera and Firefox offer built in VPNs which also work well apparently, but I've not spent too much time investigating them as I've been happy enough with my current provider.

Top Bottom