Does anyone use a handlebar bag on a Ridgeback Panorama?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fandango

I am thinking of buying a Ridgeback Panorama. One of the things I like about it is that it has a second set of brake handles on the crossbar, similar to a bike with straight handlebars. The downside is that these would seem likely to snag any handlebar bag I might want to use, and I always use one when touring. There is another thread about this but there is no clear solution offered. Does anyone use a handlebar bag with a Panorama that allows you to still use the brakes,using extensions or some other solution?

fay144

I got a Ridgeback Voyage recently, which has interupter brakes like the panorama. I have bought a handbar bag, which seemed like it would fit OK when I held it up to the bars... but I've not actually fitted it yet.

I'll try to do that some time this week, and let you know. I read somewhere that I might need to rotate the brake levels down a bit, but I think I'll get away without it.

The bar bag I bought was from halfords (a brand begining with "T"... Topeak? - I'll check), and I chose it because it seemed to stick out a bit more than the other bags I'd looked at.

I love those extra brakes levers on my Voyage, I couldn't do without them.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
you could always fit a second stem, if you have enough steerer showing. A few people have done this with good results, to stop the bar bag fouling STi cables, or blocking bar mounted lights.

OP
OP
Fandango

Fandango

John the Monkey said:
you could always fit a second stem, if you have enough steerer showing. A few people have done this with good results, to stop the bar bag fouling STi cables, or blocking bar mounted lights.

Interesting idea, hard to quite imagine what it would look like though. I presume you would have to have a stubby bar to attach the bag to.

OP
OP
Fandango

Fandango

Muddyfox said:

Thanks Muddyfox, but I have already seen that thread. It doesn't really explain about using a bag which is a decent size - the Topeak bum bag is too small for me - and if you can still use the brakes. The picture shows an Altura bag but no mention of the brakes, doesn't look like you can use them but the bike owner doesn't say. Extensions are also mentioned but nobody who has used them makes a comment. That is why I started a new thread really. I am hoping for people with actual experience of a decent size bar bag on a Panorama.

fay144

I tested my Topeak bag on my Voyage last night, and it fits fine. I had to move the reflector and take my lights off, but then I had plenty of space to fit the attachment bracket without it going near my brake levers, and it stuck out far enough that the bag didn't interfere with the cables.

It's the Topeak TourGuide Bar Bag (the one with the shoulder strap, not a bum bag).

I don't think I would then be able to fit lights very easily... But I'm touring in summer, and taking a head lamp for camping with, so I will probably be able to do without. (If I had to, I could probably fit a light so that it stopped me using one of my interupter brake levers but not the other, which would be a reasonable compromise, I think)

OP
OP
Fandango

Fandango

fay144 said:
It's the Topeak TourGuide Bar Bag (the one with the shoulder strap, not a bum bag). I think)

Thanks a lot for the feedback Fay. Just to be sure, is your bag this one? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_231823_langId_-1_categoryId_165643

Looks like a nice bag. Can you still use the brakes OK? From pictures of the Panorama they look like they come forward a fair bit.

I did find this http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-...ar-T-Shaped-105-mm-Extension--0-Deg-11040.htm SJS seem to think it would work OK, so there do appear to be options.

fay144

Fandango said:
Thanks a lot for the feedback Fay. Just to be sure, is your bag this one? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_231823_langId_-1_categoryId_165643

Looks like a nice bag. Can you still use the brakes OK? From pictures of the Panorama they look like they come forward a fair bit.

I did find this http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-...ar-T-Shaped-105-mm-Extension--0-Deg-11040.htm SJS seem to think it would work OK, so there do appear to be options.

Yeah, that's the one. It's not huge, but has a few pockets and compartments, and is a good size for me.

I didn't actually use the bike after I put the bag on (the fixing attachment was a bit loose, and I couldn't be bothered taking it off again to put the sizing inserts in place to fix it properly). But with everything sitting in place, I couldn't see any potential problems.

Not sure of the differences between the Voyage and the Panorama, I imagine they would be very similar?

I'm hoping to get it all set up properly at the weekend, and I'll go out with it then and see how it feels. I can take a few photos then, so you can see the sizings etc?

fay144 said:
I can take a few photos then, so you can see the sizings etc?

I'd be very interested to see some photos as well, as i'd like a bar bag on my Panorama

Did you have to use an extra bracket or did you fit it on with the Topeak supplied one ?

Simon

OP
OP
Fandango

Fandango

I bought my Panorama, now I just need a bar bag. Any chance of those photo's Kay? Can you still use the brakes?

fay144

Hi, sorry, not had chance to take the photos off my camera this week yet. But I fitted my bag properly, and have been cycling around with it attached all week, almost always using those brakes, and no problems whatsoever.

I'll try and post the photos when I get home tonight.

Top Bottom